Guns and Children

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":3swpjy3k said:
Caustic Burno":3swpjy3k said:
Been years since I was in Arkansas, looks like I will be headed that way soon though that half Comanche and Bulldog I am married to wants a vacation in Branson. Its drive or be scalped I would rather go to a barn burning or rat killin.
If you want to give her a real vacation, you ought to stay home and let her go. I can't imagine anything much worse than being cooped up with your ass in a car all the way through Arkansas.
:nod: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Texan":2z527sao said:
Caustic Burno":2z527sao said:
Been years since I was in Arkansas, looks like I will be headed that way soon though that half Comanche and Bulldog I am married to wants a vacation in Branson. Its drive or be scalped I would rather go to a barn burning or rat killin.
If you want to give her a real vacation, you ought to stay home and let her go. I can't imagine anything much worse than being cooped up with your ass in a car all the way through Arkansas.

Oh no way does she get to go up there unsupervised I would have to sell a load of calves to pay for that trip. Made that mistake once in central Texas lookin buy some cows. I hauled the trailer out that way stopped in Grandbery Tx she said she wanted to look at antiques duh stupid me said ok. When I got back from lookin at the prospective new ladies she had bought enough junk she called antiques to fill that gooseneck. All I got out of that trip was a much thinner checkbook and butt time driven. Aint no way burnt child is scared of fire and this child has been burned.

You people with kids (Caustic has children?!) keep in mind that just because your kids know and respect guns doesnt mean that their friends do. or that their parents have taken the same precautions you have. i remember going to my friends houses and being not supervised with guns in the house. one time, there was an escaped convict loose in the area and we were there alone and got 3 different guns out. 2 rifles and a pistol. the pistol was loaded and we kept it under the matress but didnt load the rifles. of course we were all country kids with common sense and hunting skills but not every kid has that.

Beefy":2kfvinbi said:
You people with kids (Caustic has children?!) keep in mind that just because your kids know and respect guns doesnt mean that their friends do. or that their parents have taken the same precautions you have. i remember going to my friends houses and being not supervised with guns in the house. one time, there was an escaped convict loose in the area and we were there alone and got 3 different guns out. 2 rifles and a pistol. the pistol was loaded and we kept it under the matress but didnt load the rifles. of course we were all country kids with common sense and hunting skills but not every kid has that.

Yep raised 5 of them, and got to learn to run off the Eddie Haskels.

Living in germany kids usualy don´t get that much experiance with guns because they are forbidden. My parents, beeing no hunters, never keept a "real" gun, I hope you now what I mean. But since I can think we had a 6 and a 9mm gas gun and an air riffle (again: I´m not shure if thats what they are called but I think you know what I mean ;-) ) And they teached each of us how to use these wapons.
Never had TOY-guns either but had a lot of friend that couln´t understand why we didn´t like them.
We knew where ther where kept, they allways where and still are locked away but now we know where there are.
My youngest brother is 14 now, owns his bow since he is 12 (got mine at the same age) cause our parents wanted us to know how to handle wapons.
My grandfather teached us to shoot coke-cans at early ages.
Non of us whoud ever see a gun as a toy!

I think thats the most important thing: Even in a country where wapons in general are forbidden you can´t keep ypu kids away from them, so you better teach them about!!!

Caustic Burno":3m7uk5r8 said:
My kids could probably give you a better reply, as they grew up with loaded guns all through the house. Number 1 if they ask to see one I let them, and we shot anytime they wanted so the guns hand no novelity to them and they knew what they were capeable of doing. Always kept the pistols locked up until they were older. They also knew if they ever touched one without permission to give there soul to God as there ass was mine. I think a lot of todays problem goes back to a quote from my Mom the problem in this country is doors, people aren't using the church house doors anymore. When I was growing up no one believed in sparing the rod and I didn't either. Another quote from Dad when I was a young expectant father "Boy when that baby gets here you have a blank sheet of paper what you write on it in the first three years is what you will live with for the rest of your life". You get out of children what you put into them. My daughter in law can't understand why I tear them grandkids up for not minding believes in that time out garbage. Remember I told the oldest grand daughter to do something and her response was no, after the proper application of leather she had changed her mind, her mom threw a fit about the whipping and I asked if a bulldozer had followed them to the house. Her reply was no I said good then the road to house isn't tore up. The amazing part is the oldest grandaughter is PaPaw's girl and a perfect little lady when she stays with Papaw now. Sorry for being so long winded.

AMEN!!!!!!!

Raised mine that same way and have never had 1 bit of trouble all through the teens or early adulthood. Our relationship is phenomenal too. Have the same attitude about people bringing their little "Tasmanian Devils" to my house too. Don't have any grandkids yet, but my nieces & nephews love me to death.

Beefy":aosqwfur said:

If a kid is old enough to have the strength to cock or pull the trigger on a revolver, or rack the slide on an auto, they're old enough to know they better nto do it. If you don't have obedience established by then, you have much bigger problems that wondering what to do with your guns!

Now, concerning other kids, all kids are dealt with in the same manner as Caustic's granddaughter. MY HOUSE, MY WAY! If you don't like it, hit the door. Also, other children are NEVER left unsupervised in my home. No problem.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Lots of good replies that reflect my own thoughts and beliefs. It is my understanding that the 2 kids involved in this unfortunate situation were also raised around guns and that is why I asked the question. Again, thanks for all the great answers! :)

If it's not to late to chime in. All guns were created to kill. All the guns ARE LOADED. All guns are available at all times.
Six generations living and no problems. Thank You Lord.
I mentioned in another post about Pappys (my Grandfather) rule for the kids if you shoot it you eat it. That pretty well discourages indiscriminate killing of the wildlife. But we could fill a boxcar with 22 brass for all the overripe vegetables, tin cans, and sticks we've "kilt".

I'd like to say to everyone of you who called a gun a weapon - they are NOT weapons. They are firearms! No.1 lesson for gun safety. Weapons are for killing people. Firearms are for everything else.

rwtherefords":1k1gm716 said:
Beefy":1k1gm716 said:

If a kid is old enough to have the strength to cock or pull the trigger on a revolver, or rack the slide on an auto, they're old enough to know they better nto do it. If you don't have obedience established by then, you have much bigger problems that wondering what to do with your guns!

Now, concerning other kids, all kids are dealt with in the same manner as Caustic's granddaughter. MY HOUSE, MY WAY! If you don't like it, hit the door. Also, other children are NEVER left unsupervised in my home. No problem.

I'm not talking about other kids in YOUR home. i'm talking about your kids going over to stay with other kids. and other kids not being properly taught about firearms. what should your kids do if one of their friends thinks playing with firearms is cool?

Teach them to get away from there. Find the nearest adult. Call you. Teach them to realize that unsupervised gun handling is not acceptable and to do anything to get away from the situation. Being alive is waaay more important than looking like a nerd because they walked away and got help.

Farmhand Wrote
I'd like to say to everyone of you who called a gun a weapon - they are NOT weapons. They are firearms! No.1 lesson for gun safety. Weapons are for killing people. Firearms are for everything else.

I guess I have a few of each then! Weapons for shooting to kill those that come and try to harm my family and then some firearms for target practice, hunting etc.....Sometimes it is just hard to tell which ones are for which. :)

aplusmnt":y0qf8fox said:
Farmhand Wrote

I guess I have a few of each then! Weapons for shooting to kill those that come and try to harm my family and then some firearms for target practice, hunting etc.....Sometimes it is just hard to tell which ones are for which. :)

All firearms are weapons. Call them weapons and give all of them the respect that name deserves.

norriscathy":2pxu6x21 said:
All firearms are weapons. Call them weapons and give all of them the respect that name deserves.

FALSE STATEMENT!!!!!

A firearm is not necessarily a weapon. A weapon is something you make an attack or defend yourself with. No attacks being made shooting tin cans, skeet, over ripe garden vegetables, etc. The problem isn't in the name, it's in the training. The same holds true for Beefy's reply to my comment. If you train your kids right about the use of firearms, they won't have anything to do with others who "play" with guns. Proper training won't protect them from happening to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but proper training about crossing the street doesn't ensure that some nut doing something crazy couldn't hit them either. It will ensure that they won't hang around in a bad situation!

Probably the number one thing to teach a kid about gun safety is to RUN! If someone is playing with a gun. If a kid is around guns, taught to use them and helped to shoot them, most likely if something bad happens it will be with some other kids be it a relative or friend. So this might be the most important thing you can teach them is to get away when those danger signs pop up.

We just had a lethal shooting a couple months ago in are small country town. A teen had a gun, him and a group of other teens (some skateboard, baggy pants, kids you don't want your daughter around) all stood around him while he acted silly with it. It went off and he shot a friend of his because they just all stood there thinking how cool he was and the gun was. If that kid was taught to run he would be alive.

As a 4-H trained shooting sports instructor, we FORBID the term "weapon". Weapon suggests war play and shooting people. Firearm is the only allowed term. We teach to respect firearms.

My mom lost her little brother when he was eight years old to a firearm accident...was playing at a neighbour's house and they decided cowboys and indians was appropriate when they found a rifle.

It was loaded.

Because my Dad brought my brother and I up with proper respect when around firearms, I've passed along his philosphy to my children (even though I keep all my firearms under lock and key, I can't control what circumstances they may come into contact with firearms in another household).

First and foremost, firearms are tools. Same as an axe or a chainsaw. All can be deadly in the wrong circumstances, but so can a grain auger or a vehicle.

Treat every firearm as though loaded. If they see a firearm laying around someone's home and notice another child approaching it, keep the child away from it and tell an adult immediately so that are aware of the situation.

If the kids are in the company of someone using a firearm, always be responsible for their own safety (ie. line of fire, etc).

Never trust that just because an adult is handling a firearm that they are necessarily a responsible person. Always be aware. Think for themselves. More along the same line.

Basically, they learn to use them in the company of myself, my father, or another responsible, experienced adult because I want them to have the opportunity to use these tools...and the knowledge of how to do so safely for themselves and others.

Well, enough babbling on that one for me. This has been a very interesting message thread though.

Take care.

Beefy":95b648vl said:
rwtherefords":95b648vl said:
Beefy":95b648vl said:

I'm not talking about other kids in YOUR home. i'm talking about your kids going over to stay with other kids. and other kids not being properly taught about firearms. what should your kids do if one of their friends thinks playing with firearms is cool?

This is all about the work you have done as a parent can't worry about the neighbors kid yours has to have the sense to stay out of or get away from these situations. This is no different in getting in the truck with his drunk buddy driving a 100 mph down a country road and rapping it around a tree, or worse killing a mom and a car load of kids. A bottle of beer scares me a lot more than a firearm.

Caustic Burno":2shq7blh said:
My kids could probably give you a better reply, as they grew up with loaded guns all through the house. Number 1 if they ask to see one I let them, and we shot anytime they wanted so the guns hand no novelity to them and they knew what they were capeable of doing. Always kept the pistols locked up until they were older. They also knew if they ever touched one without permission to give there soul to God as there ass was mine. I think a lot of todays problem goes back to a quote from my Mom the problem in this country is doors, people aren't using the church house doors anymore. When I was growing up no one believed in sparing the rod and I didn't either. Another quote from Dad when I was a young expectant father "Boy when that baby gets here you have a blank sheet of paper what you write on it in the first three years is what you will live with for the rest of your life". You get out of children what you put into them. My daughter in law can't understand why I tear them grandkids up for not minding believes in that time out garbage. Remember I told the oldest grand daughter to do something and her response was no, after the proper application of leather she had changed her mind, her mom threw a fit about the whipping and I asked if a bulldozer had followed them to the house. Her reply was no I said good then the road to house isn't tore up. The amazing part is the oldest grandaughter is PaPaw's girl and a perfect little lady when she stays with Papaw now. Sorry for being so long winded.

That pretty much sums it up.

Farmhand":2shq7blh said:
Farmhand":2shq7blh said:
As a 4-H trained shooting sports instructor, we FORBID the term "weapon". Weapon suggests war play and shooting people. Firearm is the only allowed term. We teach to respect firearms.

Farmhand, you are to be commended for giving your time to instructing 4-H kids. I will have to respectfully say that at my house they are referred to as shotguns, revolvers, pistols, rifles (no guns due to USMC), all of which are sometimes generally referred to as weapons. Every firearm in my house is first and foremost a weapon. It's secondary use is sport.

Latest posts