Gun Wisdom

Help Support CattleToday:

Only five years huh. That lighter than the current laws in the books here. 10-20-life
Have a gun during a felony get 10. Fire it get 20. Hit some get 25-life mandatory

Registering the transfer would narrow down the time between original purpose and recovery, making it easier to put the gun in an offender's hands. So many times, a witness might put someone at a scene, but others there as well. Without being able to put a gun on one person, reasonable doubt arises, and juries will acquit. Sucks for me after doing the work, sucks worse for the family of the victim.

Our state laws here are not as strict as Florida, I suppose, but keep in mind that sentences handed down can be modified later. We have a mandatory 85% of the sentence for enumerated violent crimes, but this also comes with a review after one year when judge can commute the remainder to paper time.

Guys, I am with you, and I bet it is more frustrating to me since I see it day in and out, but there seems to be no solution that doesn't violate someone's rights. Rights, ALL of them are to be protected.

Having seen the side of the law abiding citizen that did nothing wrong
With the the accused/convicted have more rights than the victim i can honestly say that somethings gotta change.
But i will also say that if i was ever the accused i would want every right that i could get. Assuming i was innocent and accused that is.

The less the government Or law enforcement knows about citizens the better off we are. I m a firm believer in live and let live . I wish I was born a hundred years earlier . Having all Guns and gun transfers tracked is only gonna hurt the good guys . Most crimes are committed with stolen guns . I can see it now the police would say well it's your fault because your gun was stolen . So they charge you with involuntary man saluter .

Hook, I appreciate you, I also want all rights afforded to me, but the bad guys get them too, regardless how much we don't like it. Not sure where JS gets the data to say most crimes are committed with stolen guns, but this is not what I see. Usually not registered to the offender, but not listed in NCIC as stolen either.

Involuntary manslaughter would not apply here, one would have to show culpable negligence. Some thug kicking in your door won't get it.

Manslaughter might not apply yet just give the liberals time . More laws and mandates are just like open doors for them to continue to change laws . I don't have data but I would put money down that law abiding gun buyers aren't commiting the crimes you speak of either .

Double E":1p5jjyji said:
I wish it was that easy but the Constitution says different.

For the sake of clarity I think some definitions and distinctions are in order.
Criminal= one who has been convicted of a crime.
The Constitution has very little to say reguarding the rights of criminals. Only thing I could find was excessive fines and cruel and unusual punishment. It does enumerate numerous protections for the accused.
The judiciary, on the other hand has fabricated a number of protections for the convicted. Nowhere could I find any restrictions of the rights of the law abiding. Those, too, have been fabricated by every branch of the Gov't, at every level. At the risk of showing a bit of libertarian streak, I'll paraphrase Benjamin Franklin

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

I, for one, am not willing to forego my rights to make your job easier. Nor will I vote for anyone who is willing to infringe upon those rights with stupid new laws & regulations. It has been demonstrated many times over that crime & violence does not go away by taking away the rights of the law abiding citizenry. If it did, NY, Chicago & DC would be the safest cities in the Country.

JSCATTLE":254448zz said:
Manslaughter might not apply yet just give the liberals time . More laws and mandates are just like open doors for them to continue to change laws . I don't have data but I would put money down that law abiding gun buyers aren't commiting the crimes you speak of either .
I'm gonna have to agree with JS here. Who would have thought even 20 years ago that we would be facing gay marriage? Who would have thought 10 years ago that Merry Christmas wouldn't be considered PC? Who would have ever believed the citizens of this country would be so negligent, blind, and just plain stupid to have elected a president like Barak Hussein Obama? In 10 years law enforcement will be lucky to have guns themselves. Probably be patrolling with a squirt gun that's required to have distilled water in it so it's better for the criminals.

CottageFarm":2bmplwbx said:
Double E":2bmplwbx said:
I wish it was that easy but the Constitution says different.

For the sake of clarity I think some definitions and distinctions are in order.
Criminal= one who has been convicted of a crime.
The Constitution has very little to say reguarding the rights of criminals. Only thing I could find was excessive fines and cruel and unusual punishment. It does enumerate numerous protections for the accused.
The judiciary, on the other hand has fabricated a number of protections for the convicted. Nowhere could I find any restrictions of the rights of the law abiding. Those, too, have been fabricated by every branch of the Gov't, at every level. At the risk of showing a bit of libertarian streak, I'll paraphrase Benjamin Franklin

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

I, for one, am not willing to forego my rights to make your job easier. Nor will I vote for anyone who is willing to infringe upon those rights with stupid new laws & regulations. It has been demonstrated many times over that crime & violence does not go away by taking away the rights of the law abiding citizenry. If it did, NY, Chicago & DC would be the safest cities in the Country.
Well said.

I bought one yesterday here (Taurus Judge/public defender) and of course had to have background check. I am only a few miles from Tennessee and I can't buy one there except have it shipped to a dealer here. But I can go to a gun show in TN or VA and buy all of the guns I want with no questions ask. How do they think they can have gun control as long as I can do this?

TB i would add one more adage to your list; "if you're asking the government permission to carry a gun, you're already the loser."

'

Isomade":mgxfg1ze said:
JSCATTLE":mgxfg1ze said:
I'm gonna have to agree with JS here. Who would have thought even 20 years ago that we would be facing gay marriage? Who would have thought 10 years ago that Merry Christmas wouldn't be considered PC? Who would have ever believed the citizens of this country would be so negligent, blind, and just plain stupid to have elected a president like Barak Hussein Obama? In 10 years law enforcement will be lucky to have guns themselves. Probably be patrolling with a squirt gun that's required to have distilled water in it so it's better for the criminals.

Like the UK? Did you see the craziness that was going on there this last year. Thugs robbing people for clothes and police doing nothing. Why? cause the thugs had guns and they didn't.

Laws requiring registration won't change anything. If someone is going to commit a crime other than one of "passion", it is not going to be with a gun they registered or even purchased from someone that registered it. It will be from a black market gun. No way to track it.

You wan't to look at an example of gun regulation, look at Juarez Mexico. Murder capital of the world. Only thing separating El Paso from Juarez is a fence. People go back and forth all day long. El Paso is the 3rd safest city in the US for its size. What is the difference? The Second Amendment. You see signs several miles off of the border entry with a circle around and a bar over a pistol. Guns aren't legal in the Murder Capital of the World. I don't think Mexico passing a registration law for the illegal guns is going to make any difference.

Give those poor people a gun to defend themselves from the corrupt kid nappers, extortionists, rapists, murders and drug pushers and you will see violence stop (after a small bump of dead criminals).

If you could regulate crime away don't you think we would have fewer crimes committed today than we did when the country originated. How many more laws are on the books each year? Has crime dropped, no.

With todays hackers, how long do you really think a registry will be safe? How much is that information worth to criminals?

Why not just hang a sign out on the lawn with the number of guns, models and calibers you have. You think guns being stolen and used for criminal activity will drop then?

3waycross":1oyukrwp said:
Double E":1oyukrwp said:
Is sure I will stir the pile, but from my perspective, I would like to see a registration for guns as we do vehicles in the US. I can't count the number of guns I have tried to trace back to the original purchaser, and then dig deeper to find the gun was stolen. Thugs will find guns and use them as well, it would be nice to see how many hands they have passed through legally before they are recovered I don't remember ever tracing one back the original purchaser who used it illegally, aside from suicides and justifiable shootings. I have guns, and support everyone's right to own as many as they want. Would this be used to confiscate them later? I doubt it, but I understand concerns. Law abiding citizens have the right, thugs could care less. I am just looking for another tool to use in putting the bad guys away.

So after reading these two statements could you explain what the purpose of registration would be other than to satisfy your curiosity?

BINGO THREE WAY.....
MY THOUGHT EXACTLY WHEN I READ THIS BABBLING.

Everybody has rights in this country except a white man. We are under attack every night in our living room through the TV. Watch the show's messages it is bad to own a gun, or be a Christian. It is great if your Bob's butt buddy or like Lucy's Licker. The fabric and morals of our country are under attack by the liberal social media. You are watching social engineering right before your very eye's.
Nikita Khrushchev stood in the UN pounding on a podium with his shoe saying they would take this country and never fire a shot.

We are being disarmed through school and tv. If Hitler would had this propaganda machine we would all be speaking German.

Caustic Burno":pbvrur9r said:
Everybody has rights in this country except a white man. We are under attack every night in our living room through the TV. Watch the show's messages it is bad to own a gun, or be a Christian. It is great if your Bob's butt buddy or like Lucy's Licker. The fabric and morals of our country are under attack by the liberal social media. You are watching social engineering right before your very eye's.
Nikita Khrushchev stood in the UN pounding on a podium with his shoe saying they would take this country and never fire a shot.

We are being disarmed through school and tv. If Hitler would had this propaganda machine we would all be speaking German.

YAHVO MEIN COMMANDANT......(i am guessing at the spelling as I know no german....this was my best sgt schultz response.)

The only positive I see on TV are the guing programs on hte non-sports channels. They wouldn;t be on if the tv folks didn;t think they would sell advertising. I've only seen snippets of them but they seem to be the "new reality" type shows like the pawnshop and auction shows.

Double E,

I am guessing that you are in some type of law enforcement....
I know that officers are drilled repeatedly on officer safety....
but some times you guys take it a little too far.....
you guys have guns to protect yourselves....
but when we citizens do the same thing legally .....
we are first lumped with the bad guys under the guise of officer safety....
well I have the right to be safe to and to ensure my safety just like you do....