Gun safes

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on a nice fireproof gun safe? Best place to get one? And let's not forget, price is an issue.

I don't have one myself, but my Dad has one from Remington that is fireproof and has a 22 gun capacity. It's nicely lined and pretty roomy. I think it was about $1100. I have no idea what the going rate for gun safes is, so I couldn't tell you if that is a good price or not.

Shop around more or less locally. Trying to have one trucked in can get awfully pricey. Insure it has a good relocker system, that the hinges are inside and the locking bolts are both adequate in size and number and a minimum of 1/4 inch plate. If you get a heavy safe that isn;t fire retardent, you can put a couple of layers of fire proof gypsum wall board in them that will help.

I have a Browning. Holds 8 guns but you could probably stuff 20 in it. Has shelves and drawers for all kind of stuff. Wife uses it for her jewelry as well.

Some of the gun dealers around here will take orders until they get a truck load. Saves quite a bit on shipping.

Mine is a Stack On. Fairly resonablely priced and well made. A couple of things to remember. Buy one bigger than you think you need. Also they are very heavy.

I got a demo Champion 6' tall by something. It is a purty fair sized solid safe. It was a demo with a squeaky bolt.

It still squeaks.

I got a small demo at Kmart that they had lost the keys too. It was one of those you need to bolt down or someone might walk of with it. They let it go right. The company sent me a set of key for near nothing.

I like demos and haggling.

I think Home Depot sells them for around $600. A friend of mine got one of those Fort Knox safes, real nice but real pricy and he ordered it, took about six months to order.

I'm sure you are smarter than me and this post is unneccessary but it is a good idea to test the combination before you bring it home to be sure its works properly. I didn't. It would take me roughly 20 tries before I could open mine until I realized they gave me the wrong combination. They were off by 2 digits on one sequeance. It was agravating to say the least.

dicks sporting goods has good deals on em..i got a 24 stckon that is great. waterproof and fireproof...cuz afterall they use water to put out the fire right...so....anyways it seems okay. paid like 600 for it i think...most of the guns cost almost that or more...and its full so i need more space

dieselbeef":37bku65q said:
dicks sporting goods has good deals on em..i got a 24 stckon that is great. waterproof and fireproof...cuz afterall they use water to put out the fire right...so....anyways it seems okay. paid like 600 for it i think...most of the guns cost almost that or more...and its full so i need more space
I believe that is where I got mine as well. Got it on sale for cheap a few years back.

Back in 95 I helped a friend build a house.After we poured the slab we built a ,I think it was 12x12 foot room made from 12in thick concrete walls and ceiling with 5/8 re-bar.Went to some safe company in ft.worth and
Picked up a double lock pin door that weighed around 1500 pounds.We built the house around this safe. You would hardly know it's there until you walk down the hallway and see the big safe door. It also serves as a good tornado shelter.

Cal

Calman":n9w6rbuc said:
Back in 95 I helped a friend build a house.After we poured the slab we built a ,I think it was 12x12 foot room made from 12in thick concrete walls and ceiling with 5/8 re-bar.Went to some safe company in ft.worth and
Picked up a double lock pin door that weighed around 1500 pounds.We built the house around this safe. You would hardly know it's there until you walk down the hallway and see the big safe door. It also serves as a good tornado shelter.

Cal

Guy down the road from me had one of these. I never knew until the DEA came to town. His was full of money and lots of it.

Calman":2a5lq4ee said:

Cal

Friend of mine did that years ago but he bought a vault door from a bank that was being torn down. He also lined it with 1/4 inch plate steel. You accesssed the vault door through a closet door. Looked like any other door in the house till you opened the closet.

dieselbeef":1ruyi5bo said:

Wow you did get a good buy...or at least it is compared to mine. I think I paid about $895 for the small Browning safe It weighs a ton but I guess it's a good one. Son in law recommended it.

sale w/a rebate coupon...and frquent buyer disc werkec out right. the stackons arent the greatest i didnt think but once they get to a certain size i figure theyre as good as any.
tractor supply will have em on sale bout now too if they got any left from chritsmas

LoveMoo11":21svc3gv said:
I don't have one myself, but my Dad has one from Remington that is fireproof and has a 22 gun capacity. It's nicely lined and pretty roomy. I think it wall safes about $1100. I have no idea what the going rate for [ is, so I couldn't tell you if that is a good price or not.

I got a good value on a Winchester 24 gun Model safe https://secretstorages.com/best-wall-safes/ at Tractor supply last year and paid roughly $600 and they delivered it and set it up. There was a sale on the safe at the time.

The safe stands 59" tall, weighs 507 lbs., and has exterior hinges with locking bolts inside all around the door. The electronic keypad to open the door is under a lifetime warranty along with the safe. Generally speaking, the thinner the steel, the less overall weight you will read in the specifications.

I have about 8 handguns, two shotguns, and four rifles with scopes in mine. I could take out some shelf panels and modify them to make more room for long guns, but I don't need to at this time. I use the shelves on the right side of the safe to hold ammo, jewelry and other valuables. If I leave the house for a few days, I put my two laptops on the shelves as well. I am very happy with the safe and the value...