Gun Safe

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Alright guys,

Finally finishing my basement which means I need to get my gun safe in place before the walls get built. Looking for about a 36" wide 24+ long gun storage with ample room for handguns and assorted valuables. What do you have? What do you have, what do you like, what do you hate, what should I get? Thanks.

At the advice of some of the people on here I bought a 50 gun from John Deere 2 years ago. I need another one now. Have you thought about a small room in one corner as your safe. Blocks filled with concrete with a safe style door on it.

Kenny,

That is very much a possibility for down the road and another corner of my basement. That's why this gun safe is getting built into a closet in a small hunting room that could be changed to a utility room or office down the road. Thanks for the thought. Deep South, there is no doubt already that this one will not be big enough, but its a start and 36" is about all I can fit into this space.

What is frustrating is that a gun safe will not hold the advertised amount of guns........with scopes that is. Scopes reduce the space by about 30 to 40%.

Deepsouth":2hzbeayw said:
My only advice would be that after you decide what size safe you want get one at least one size bigger. You will put more in it than your planning.

Well said I am on number three, two packed full.
The third one is full of reloading stuff.
With all this yucky weather I have put a dent in my shotgun powder.
I have enough squirrel and dove loads in 16 gauge to last two lifetimes.

Caustic Burno":3ixejfa9 said:
Deepsouth":3ixejfa9 said:
My only advice would be that after you decide what size safe you want get one at least one size bigger. You will put more in it than your planning.

I have over 25 different 16ga shotguns so I can help you out on the ammo. I am most proud of one I bought from 3waycross. A Browning, looks like a new one. He done a great job of restoring it.

kenny thomas":3dx0maq4 said:
Caustic Burno":3dx0maq4 said:
Deepsouth":3dx0maq4 said:

I have over 25 different 16ga shotguns so I can help you out on the ammo. I am most proud of one I bought from 3waycross. A Browning, looks like a new one. He done a great job of restoring it.

Next time your down this way stop by if you don't bring one I can supply you.
We can irritate tree rats or make doves fly faster.
One of my favorites is a Baikal side by side made in Russia.
Remington marketed as Spartan.
It is your basic "farm gun" nothing fancy but it is one heck of a shooter.

One thing I would insure is taken care of is moisture. Even in the desert we had occasioanl problems with it. I have a golden rod in each of my safes. The reason I used Golden rods is because I sold them in the shop and included one in each safe I sold.

dun":1ush8t1m said:
One thing I would insure is taken care of is moisture. Even in the desert we had occasioanl problems with it. I have a golden rod in each of my safes. The reason I used Golden rods is because I sold them in the shop and included one in each safe I sold.

Good advice I have one in each of mine as well.

Next time your down this way stop by if you don't bring one I can supply you.
We can irritate tree rats or make doves fly faster.
One of my favorites is a Baikal side by side made in Russia.
Remington marketed as Spartan.
It is your basic "farm gun" nothing fancy but it is one heck of a shooter.[/quote]

You are the first person other that I have ever talked to that has a Baikal. I bought a Baikal SA 12G a few years back dirt cheap like $100 or $125 cant remember. It is a good gun has kinda taken a back seat as I now have my Grandfathers over under 12G Browning.

I got the SPR 210 single select trigger and that is a sweet bird gun.
I knew nothing of them other than Remington was marketing them and decided to
give it a try. It has become the double I grab if I am in a double state of mind.
Wished I had bought their O/U as well they are nothing fancy.
They are very functional and you can keep the safe queens for the pretty days
and special events.

Most time I grab one of my BPS's I have a pile of them in different gauges
always liked them. I retired the Model 12 and 97's.
I very rarely shoot the 12's anymore they are heavy guns to tote in the BPS.

I had never heard of them either. Was looking around at some used guns and came across it looked it up saw the deal with Remington, and some good reviews, so I said what the heck for the price cant go very wrong. I think it the best bang for my buck that I have ever bought.

Build a room. #8 (1 inch) rebar spaced 6" on center both vertical and horizontal wall depth 16" with same diameter and spacing coming up out of the floor. Floor thickness 16" and roof/ ceiling 16" with similar rebar (l shaped with rebar legs 36 inches) also. Pour walls and ceiling in one pour so no cold joint. Good quality gun safe door with cast anchors into the walls not bolted. This will provide ample room to set up however you like. My suggestion make large enough you can enter the room and secure gun, ammo and protection before exiting.

The gun "cabinets" are better than people give them credit for. I can tell you first hand it can be a PITA to open. I'll spare you the details. I keep my overrun from the safe in the cabinet. I take out the bolts, put them in the safe, then put gun locks on them. It may be overkill, but I NEVER want any of my firearms, in the hands of criminals. I could never forgive myself if an innocent person was hurt with one of my guns. Remember that you MUST bolt that sucker to the floor and/or wall studs.

Latest posts