Gun safe location

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Theft has really been a problem in my area. There are more farm and houses that have been broken into than there are that have not been broken into. So I have decided to get a gun safe. Question is should I put it in a closet or leave it close to a window. My thinking is that if the thief could see it by the window he might be discourged from breaking in. Any thoughts?

Inside the house I look it in a closet and bolted the both the wall and the floor. That way the closet door can be kept closed and it's not visible at all.

denoginnizer":tiiso4or said:
I should of mentioned that it ways 1000 pounds. It will hold 23 long guns.

2 of my safes are about 500 pounds heavier and I still have them bolted to the floor. They are too big for the closet so they sit out in the open but away from windows.

Well hidden and bolted to the wall studs and the floor. If you put them by the window, some fool is going to break in just to see what they can steal. In the process, they may damage your safe enough that you can't get into it either.

In the closet it goes. I can see now I wouldnt be a good thief cause if I saw a safe I would just move to the house where I didnt see one.
Does your insurance cover gun theft? My neighbor just found out the hard way that his didnt.

denoginnizer":3h0yct0s said:
Does your insurance cover gun theft? My neighbor just found out the hard way that his didnt.

Yes, it's not that expensive if you have a good gun safe.

My safe is also in the closet and bolted to the floor, out of sight when the closet door is closed. It weighs about 500lbs. Our house was broke into once since we bought it, the safe was the only thing that wasn't trashed. Now it also holds personal papers, camera, and acts as a jewery chest and safe deposit box.

alan

I'd put it in the closet or somewhere else out of the way, not right out in the open. It may encourage a potential thief as they may realize that means you have valuables and may have others around the house.

My gun safe is in my shop bolted to concrete with a steel frame welded around it.
It also has about 10 pounds of powder for reloading in it, I would hate to be the one that cut into it.
The real gun safe is in the truck or by the bed with me Model 97 20" Cylinder bore.

Latest posts