Gun(s) or Not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Are guns in a cattle operation necessary?

• Yes

Votes: 59 86.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
VanC":2f6ygdqo said:
Well, you sort of asked two questions, so I will answer them both:

Is it wise? Yes.

Is it an absolute necessity? No.

I'm sure I'll take some heat for that answer. So be it. I'll revisit this thread tomorrow night. I'm tired and going to bed. Have a good evening everyone.

Here comes the heat Van........... ;-)
I agree ... :nod:
Do we have rifles here, yes, do I touch them no..I am here pretty much by myself almost 2/3's of the time ..If I have an animal that needs to be put down I get hubby if he is home, or my dad as he is only 1/2 hour away. If I was in a real pinch I would ask the neighbor. Last year Rossie got really sick and even with all of my bags of tricks I couldn't save her so I had the vet come out and put her down (needle) ,she died with her head on my lap..She had special treatment because of who she was and that she had lived a long and prosperous life. She made a few people a lot of money..

I feel 100% safe here and I hope it stays that way. I have personal reasons why the sight of a fire arm makes me physically ill, before I owned my own hand gun and was a h@ll of a shot. Maybe one day I will be able to move on but not yet.

So I am in the middle of the road..

Texas Gal":3igwu4wq said:
Calman":3igwu4wq said:
Far as i'm concerned a gun is a necessity around these neck o the woods.Plenty varmits like wild hogs and meth heads.One of our places is about 15 miles from town and nearest neighbor about 5 miles.Only a few spots the cell phone will get out.Even if I could it would be pretty stupid to call 911 and think they could help me.So I always take along my two friends,Colt 45,and most of the time 22 hornet.

Cal

Amen!

My apologies in advance for hijacking the thread, but how much rain did you get this morning, Calman?
We got just a little over an inch. Where you been you havent posted for a while?

whitecow":33ywty8e said:
While I recognize there are some pracitcal uses for guns, they are not an absolute necessity in the cattle business. My grandfather, father and I have raised cattle in Northeast and Central Texas since the 1930s. None of us has ever had a gun and I can't think of single instance where one was absolutely needed.

I believe in my lifetime you are the first cattleman from Texas that didn't beleve a firearm was nessacary or own one I have heard of. Well I have been to a county fair a goat roping and a barn burning, I never cease to be amazed. I have over the years lost more calfs to dogs and Mexican vulture's than any other predators.
If these pest had not been dispatched losses would be unbearable to the profit.

That is surprising for me also, to say they have NEVER had a gun... especially back to a grandfather. That is the generation that had a cane and rifle in the back window of every truck they owned. Need to check the book on that one... might be grounds for deportation. :D

But seriously... is there a specific reason?

I believe a gun is a necessity on a livestock farm. How do you put down an animal that is injured or really sick without one? I guess you could beat them to death with a hammer or something...but somehow that doesn't appeal to me! We can be over run with gophers at times and poison is expensive and time consuming. I'm not into hunting but let any responsible hunter, hunt on my land.
Now having said all that, sometimes I wonder if some people should own a gun? Irresponsible behavior with any dangerous tool can result in a tradgedy? Keeping loaded guns around is just an accident waiting to happen.
I live in an area where crime is almost non-existant so don't need a gun to keep the barbarians from the door! Canada doesn't have much gun crime...just the big cities where the immigrants congregate!

Alberta farmer":2onuqfjk said:
I believe a gun is a necessity on a livestock farm. How do you put down an animal that is injured or really sick without one? I guess you could beat them to death with a hammer or something...but somehow that doesn't appeal to me! We can be over run with gophers at times and poison is expensive and time consuming. I'm not into hunting but let any responsible hunter, hunt on my land.
Now having said all that, sometimes I wonder if some people should own a gun? Irresponsible behavior with any dangerous tool can result in a tradgedy? Keeping loaded guns around is just an accident waiting to happen.
I live in an area where crime is almost non-existant so don't need a gun to keep the barbarians from the door! Canada doesn't have much gun crime...just the big cities where the immigrants congregate!

We can truck you up some of New Orleans finest, you will want a concealed carry permit after that.

I own a lot of guns. I have never found it necessary to carry one on a regular basis. There are others that have good reason. I will defend your right to carry one. I do not believe in having to get a special permit to own or carry one. The constitution already does that.

Caustic Burno":31zx0wdb said:
Alberta farmer":31zx0wdb said:

We can truck you up some of New Orleans finest, you will want a concealed carry permit after that.

That's true Caustic, we can have several truck loads of East Arkansas finest to join the caravan. Once they arrive the locals will want a handgun in every pocket of there jeans or overalls.

novatech":10j0sgp7 said:
I own a lot of guns. I have never found it necessary to carry one on a regular basis. There are others that have good reason. I will defend your right to carry one. I do not believe in having to get a special permit to own or carry one. The constitution already does that.
Agreed.
But I think they did away with the constitution.

Caustic Burno":1iq761ty said:
whitecow":1iq761ty said:
While I recognize there are some pracitcal uses for guns, they are not an absolute necessity in the cattle business. My grandfather, father and I have raised cattle in Northeast and Central Texas since the 1930s. None of us has ever had a gun and I can't think of single instance where one was absolutely needed.

I believe in my lifetime you are the first cattleman from Texas that didn't beleve a firearm was nessacary or own one I have heard of. Well I have been to a county fair a goat roping and a barn burning, I never cease to be amazed. I have over the years lost more calfs to dogs and Mexican vulture's than any other predators.
If these pest had not been dispatched losses would be unbearable to the profit.

Maybe I am the only Texas cattleman to not own/use a gun, but in the 35+ years that I have been invovled in the family cattle business I don't recall ever losing a cow or calf to predators. As far as putting down sick or injured animals, that has not been a frequent occurrance. When it has been necessary, a needle and the right drugs work just fine (although more expensive than a bullet). I have no problem with anyone owning/using guns, but in my experience it has not been a necessity.

Thanks everyone for their input. Now I know that I'd have to get me a gun if I'm going to be raising cattle.

So now lets switch things around a bit. Around here, like Alberta farmer, the area that I live in is pretty much nonexistent for gun violence. Since that's the case why bother with a handgun when a rifle will do instead? I was thinking a .22 might be best, but something tells me I should go with something bigger... :help: Because there's more than just squirrels, pigeons and feral cats to shoot at, coyotes are a common thing around here too, hear them yippykiyiya'n almost everynight, and they get brave enough to saunter up to the farmyard whenever they so please.

So thoughts please...or could someone suggest that I move this post to a new thread instead... :compute: I kinda don't want to interrupt what I've got started already...

edit: disregard this post :p I started a new thread on this "what rifle is best" thing...

IluvABbeef":3lzm9lwv said:
Thanks everyone for their input. Now I know that I'd have to get me a gun if I'm going to be raising cattle.

So now lets switch things around a bit. Around here, like Alberta farmer, the area that I live in is pretty much nonexistent for gun violence. Since that's the case why bother with a handgun when a rifle will do instead? I was thinking a .22 might be best, but something tells me I should go with something bigger... :help: Because there's more than just squirrels, pigeons and feral cats to shoot at, coyotes are a common thing around here too, hear them yippykiyiya'n almost everynight, and they get brave enough to saunter up to the farmyard whenever they so please.

So thoughts please...or could someone suggest that I move this post to a new thread instead... :compute: I kinda don't want to interrupt what I've got started already...

edit: disregard this post :p I started a new thread on this "what rifle is best" thing...

I like the 22 Mag

yes. guns are needed. we have i mean had dog problems but since i busted out that gun we don't.

Latest posts