gun range in pasture...bad for the cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
built a berm..had to fence around it cuz the dam cows kept climbing it and tearing down the targets and stands...cept for when a bullet hits the wire its all good.

soo the question is...we don't pickup brass usually..lotta 9mm...thousands of 22....30/30...556...thousands of rds of them all...sometimes ya can see em when the grass is short..ive started throwing a sheet out to try and collect is but its hard..specially if yer playing run and gun or something and moving around...

we try to pick up the 556 and the 3030 stuff but 9mm and smaller is really tough

problems with the cows possibly eating it? issues with it being brass...or passing it?

some will most likely eat some of it by default. I would imagine if enough is eaten it could harm them. Maybe you should feed some hay-string to them in hopes it will encapsulate it.

I personally think you should choose whats more important, wasting money or making money . and live with the consequence .

I don't allow shooting in my pastures unless it's varmint control. Don't figure my cows need hardware in them or a broken tooth.

We pick up our trash. People who come dove hunting and leave shotgun hulls everywhere don't get invited back. We all miss one or two. But the dude and his wife and son who left all their drink bottles, all their shotgun shells, were told why they can't come back.

backhoeboogie":1r1nay8q said:
We pick up our trash. People who come dove hunting and leave shotgun hulls everywhere don't get invited back. We all miss one or two. But the dude and his wife and son who left all their drink bottles, all their shotgun shells, were told why they can't come back.

That would chap my azz as well.

We don't even feed cake on our dirt roads for fear a cow will scoop up a caliche rock along with her cake and break a tooth. These things can be tuff enough to grow, breed and calve without doing something else in the mix. I'd say fence off a long narrow area to do your shopping. Just my 2 cents.

We do it..pick up the brass.
shoot1.jpg

shoot4.jpg

shoot_2.jpg

Last time we did it, I spread out a big oversized hay tarp under the tables to make it easy to just sweep the brass up with a push broom. I worry more about the broken clays than anything else...they don't decompose as fast as you might think.

greybeard that looks like our weekends also..we don't leave anything out there at all but when im practicing pistol draw and mving around picking up brass is almost impossible...the tarp is a thought..i been using a cpl towels lately cuz I been concerned about it..i guess one of them blue tarps is good enough

We have never had a problem. We pick up As much as we can but if some brass get left behind it's not a big deal. Some how I feel like cows know if they have metal or a rock in their mouth.

We don't play that bs with trash and spent shotgun shells. No one is perfect but if every one will pick up what they see on the ground even if old shells and not theirs you can keep the place pretty clean.

dieselbeef":2pycp16d said:
greybeard that looks like our weekends also..we don't leave anything out there at all but when im practicing pistol draw and mving around picking up brass is almost impossible...the tarp is a thought..i been using a cpl towels lately cuz I been concerned about it..i guess one of them blue tarps is good enough
The tarp I used will completely cover five 5x6 round bales.

CB posted a pic of a shooters table a couple years back that had a wire mesh cage on the right side to contain ejected brass...a ole in the table with a bucket under it...looked like it would work pretty good but won't help with your draw and move practice. I meant to build one, just never got around to it.

greybeard":13opjgq9 said:
dieselbeef":13opjgq9 said:
The tarp I used will completely cover five 5x6 round bales.

CB posted a pic of a shooters table a couple years back that had a wire mesh cage on the right side to contain ejected brass...a ole in the table with a bucket under it...looked like it would work pretty good but won't help with your draw and move practice. I meant to build one, just never got around to it.

It will if you shoot revolvers

We pickup what we can and don't worry about the rest , can it cause problems ? yes , life goes on .

Latest posts