Gulf rye grass and oat prices

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I was calling around checking prices for Gulf rye grass and feed oat prices. The best price I found for gulf rye was $22.00/50# and $5.95/50# for feed oats. I plan on mixing the 2 at a 50/50 ratio and planting 100# per acre so it comes out to $16.95 per acre. I was wondering what other people are paying this year for seed and how many lbs./acre are you planning on, or already planted?

Best price I could find on the rye grass seed was $21.50.(up to 28.00 at the coop) I didn't price any oats because we were told that once oats are grazed they don't grow back. Unlike rye, it just keeps growin n growin. Last Saturday we planted 60 acres of rye. Drilled it in instead of broadcasting as we'd done in a smaller area last year. Got rain on it Monday....now we are waitin to see green :D

jersey lilly":31a3hhwa said:
Best price I could find on the rye grass seed was $21.50.(up to 28.00 at the coop) I didn't price any oats because we were told that once oats are grazed they don't grow back. Unlike rye, it just keeps growin n growin. Last Saturday we planted 60 acres of rye. Drilled it in instead of broadcasting as we'd done in a smaller area last year. Got rain on it Monday....now we are waitin to see green :D
I've used oats and rye grass and oats didn't seem to recoup as fast as the rye grass. Some of my cows would bite the oats off at the ground then draw the rest into their mouth really setting it back. The rye grass is almost nothing but leaf until the latter part of the spring.

Latest posts