Guided hunts-mountain lion

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
In the process of planning the trip of a lifetime. Been saving for awhile to go on a lion hunt, I want to do horseback with hounds. Looks like Arizona is best for that most snow hunts they do by machines now.

Never booked a guided hunt and looking for advice or referrals. Only going to get to do this once and want it to be good. Would like to get a nice Tom but the hunt is really the trophy for me. I know a lot on here get to hunt a bunch so any info you can share is appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

I've never hunted a Mountain Lion in Arizona but know guys who do, I've only hunted them in the snow, in Nevada and Wyoming. There is a fantastic outfitter in Nevada I could refer you to if you decide to go that route. Those Arizona hunts down in the rocks look like a blast. There's a ranch down there South of I-10, where I've bought some little green yearling heifers to feed a few times as well as Coues deer hunted that conducts horseback lion hunts that way and kill some good ones most years from what I understand.

Js1234 do the guys you have hunted with do horseback hunts or do you have contact info for the ranch in Arizona. I am not stuck on Arizona just seems to be the state with the most horseback opportunities. I will be sure to let everyone know how the hunt goes. Been dreaming about it for 25yrs. Thanks for the help.

Forgot to ask in previous posts for tips on narrowing down/vetting an outfitter. Also I know tips are customary but at what percentage approximately? Thanks

I'll run you down some contact info for the outfit in Arizona. The outfitter I used in NV does not do horseback hunts and in Wyoming, we didn't have an outfitter/guide. When I check out a new outfitter that wasn't referred to me by a friend who hunted with him or some such thing, I request references. All the reputable ones with a good track record are all too eager to give you references. Also, confirm the experience they are selling matches what you are looking for. Everyone focuses on success rate. That's great but you want to make sure its the kind of successful hunt you want.
As far as gratuity, I'm sure that there's a wide spectrum of what people give and deem appropriate. That said, 10% is typically what I do. On a horseback hunt, I would likely bump it up a bit as it gets spread around several guys as there is very likely, on top of the guide, an assistant guide/horse wrangler/cook and a dog handler, maybe two.

I am not anti hunting, but I don't get the point of traveling somewhere to kill something that is not bothering me and I can't eat.

Farm Fence Solutions":rdp3z154 said:
Mountain lion tastes good, IMHO. Bobcat is even better.

I have never tried Bobcat but I can attest to the fact that Mountain Lion is some good eating.

Thanks for all the info Js. I was thinking 10-15% but was not sure. I will be sure to ask for references.

I have heard from several people that cougar is the best meat. Read it in a lot of old western books as well. If I get one I will darn sure try it.

As for the why, sometimes you do things for the experience and because it is fun. I doubt having a kid is the only reason you ever made love.

If you love the sound of the bay dogs opening up, then it's easy to understand. If you don't, then it's not. I'm working on getting you a number for a guy on the AZ NM line. My go between contact is out there right now.....with no cell service.

SmokinM":2tw8amm1 said:
Thanks for all the info Js. I was thinking 10-15% but was not sure. I will be sure to ask for references.

I have heard from several people that cougar is the best meat. Read it in a lot of old western books as well. If I get one I will darn sure try it.

As for the why, sometimes you do things for the experience and because it is fun. I doubt having a kid is the only reason you ever made love.
The outfit they hunted with was 7 Anchor Ranch.
At the risk of being vilified, I've never eaten a lion I've killed (I've only killed 2, one for sport on a hunt in NV and one for business as he'd killed a couple yearlings on our Wyoming ranch years ago, back before the wolves and grizzlies were reintroduced and drove all the lions out of our area) and certainly don't have any plans to start eating Mountain Lion if survival does not necessitate it.

The youngest son and his hunting partner have gone to Nevada a couple times chasing lions. They have been pretty successful. They do have a couple of advantages over the average man on the street. The hunting partner's father in law is a retried government trapper who lives in central Nevada. And the hunting partner has a pack of dogs. They are a ambitious pair who wear out lots of shoe leather. Having spent some time in that part of the world and looked at their pictures. I think I would want to be horseback while following the dogs.

I have seen 7 Anchor advertised on the web and looked into them some, I will check them out a little deeper. Thanks for the info.

I hunt bear behind hounds quite a bit and I can tell you it is a blast, can't see how lion hunting can't be anything but all that fun and then some. Nothing like watching/listening to good hounds work. Like I said in the original post the hunt is the trophy for me. Not afraid of hiking but definitely looking forward to the horseback part.

I sold a mule to a man out of New Mexico that guides a lot of lion hunts using mules and horses you can look him up North West Out Fitters his name is Seth Chase. I may still have his number and can PM it to you if want it.

Farm Fence Solutions":3rbrbe7n said:
Mountain lion tastes good, IMHO. Bobcat is even better.
I hear mountain lion is good and have been thinking about trying bobcat the next time I trap a young one. It is some of the prettiest meat I have ever seen, looks a lot like rabbit.

Thanks for the info Bryant. I will check him out as well. If I can't find his info I will pm you.

Mailed my deposit and am all booked up for January. Dierenger Outfitters, seem like great guys and got a lot of good feedback from their references. Can't wait to get there. If successful I will have to figure out how to post pics. on this darn thing. Thanks for all the info.!

Latest posts