Guess we'll be feeding soon.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bred? Age?
Age for the 8 was 3-5 years old (their test guess) and 4-6 months bred. All came from the same farm. I will try to get a pic.

They had just had a calf pulled off (thin) and the guy had no hay. He sold 12 and I bought 8. I wish I had got the other 4. Sam my buddy (dog) in the pic protects the animals and they have to go through him to get to them. I have 90+ cows and around 50+ calves and he constantly patrol's them.

MUEHo4W.jpg

2awi0Yw.jpg

Somebody dropped Dolly (border collie) as she was starved to death, a neighbor had a stroke, with his cattle being sold and Sam took up with my cattle. They live in my barn.

bAeuQl0.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering about the sale as I may show up at the Lady sale and check it out if I can find my insulated underwear (suppose to be a cold winter day). Stopped last Saturday on the way home at 2 PM at the Western county cattle sale barn and bought 8 cows. Decent cows were going $1000-$1200 range. That is sure cheaper than raising heifers' if they turn out good.
Watch them very close. Several that was there have been around the block.
Yes in some ways that seems cheap but slaughter cows are very cheap so actually that's the highest cows I have heard of lately. 2 weeks ago there were 120 cows at the Mascot sale. Not sure why people are selling out unless hay is shorter nearby than here.

Yes in some ways that seems cheap but slaughter cows are very cheap so actually that's the highest cows I have heard of lately. 2 weeks ago there were 120 cows at the Mascot sale. Not sure why people are selling out unless hay is shorter nearby than here.
From my experience the 4th day is when the snotty nose and the coughing/sickness can set in. I checked them this morning and so far I have not noticed any. A lot of people biding on the cows they had as I bet the sale tonight they will sell good if good cattle. I have four older cows to themselves right now that I am trying to put some weight on as two have calves (around 350 lbs., just sold calves off other 2)I plan to get rid of soon. I read your note a few days ago the 1st of the year they may go up and that is kind of what I am looking at. With next years predicted fertilizer prices there sure is not much if any in them. I got 6/10 s of rain last night a good rain.

Last edited:
I'm roughly an hour east of Knoxville. We started getting rain again in September IIRC.

Total production for the year has been ****. Cold spring, and somewhat dry. 60% of our normal 1st cut. Then turned dry til September. 2nd cut was poop. 3rd cut was decent.

This year really showed how important rest periods are.

I pulled animals onto 1 field and am unrolling hay for a while. Letting everything grow.

Looks like it's gonna be a dry fall for the most part. Which is good, I'm feeding hay for the next 6 weeks. Got a good rain last night actually.

Where were you in TN?
Stayed in a cabin with a Sevierville address, not far from Pigeon Forge city limits along Walden's Creek. Went to Clingman's Dome and Mingo Falls, tried to get away from town as much as possible. Finally got to see a bear in the wild on our way back from the falls.

It was beautiful with the leaves changing. I really like this area, even with all the tourist traps.

Hay is short, I had a guy in my office this week and he said that he is about 150 rolls short and looking to buy.

What's left. Alfalfa grass is very well utilized. They still don't like bullrushes but the grass in the wild hay is well utilized. PXL_20211113_191254402.MP.jpgPXL_20211113_191332139.jpg

I'm not normally a fan of that tool, but in situations like you are facing this year they can become a valuable piece of equipment.
Me neither to be honest. But if it gets me through this year it pays for itself (bought used and cheap) it'll be nice to bed with going forward. I always figured if I got one the type you bought is what I'd want but not many used for sale around here yet.

Latest posts