Guess we'll be feeding soon.

Help Support CattleToday:

Turned white here yesterday too. Been feeding light rations for awhile now, but now even in the snow they bugger off and graze all over right after the feed is put out. They sure have been easy on feed to to this point.

Turned white here yesterday too. Been feeding light rations for awhile now, but now even in the snow they bugger off and graze all over right after the feed is put out. They sure have been easy on feed to to this point.
It's been an incredible turn around here. Thought we'd be feeding by Sept 1st or earlier when the drought was at its worst. Now we're well into November and haven't started yet. Already saved 40-50 bales vs last year at this point.

It's been an incredible turn around here. Thought we'd be feeding by Sept 1st or earlier when the drought was at its worst. Now we're well into November and haven't started yet. Already saved 40-50 bales vs last year at this point.
Similar here, I think I'm ahead 200 bales from where I would be a lot of years.

Same. Partially due to good fall rain and partially due to a greatly reduced stocking rate. Still have orchard grass stockpiled as well as a lot of oats n rye n turnip mix that was seeded into drought ed out soybeans. Soy beans yielded 2 bu per acre.

Quite a bit of second crop hay was made here in October. Fall grass hay yielded more than June cut hay. Still a low forage production year - - but high input guys are supplementing with droughted out corn silage.

Interesting thing is hay prices have held up except for swamp hay. Not much on the market, but good cow hay is U$S 140 to 200 per ton. I can not make money feeding that. Calves are still grazing with the cows. I hope to graze them till Christmas... Got rain last night and 4 to 8" snow is coming today. Oats is knee high so I think they can graze thru the snow.

Last edited:
I found 100 bales at last year's prices before things got super dry. That was my saving grace this year. And culled half our cows. Got 3 or 4 more to get out of here yet.

We are deer firearms hunting. Bucks are fat, but does are the thinnest I have seen here. No grain corn, so they are either back in the woods or mowing down my rye. Good thing the winter has started out mild.

culled half our cows. Got 3 or 4 more to get out of here yet.
We got 3/4" of rain ahead of the Canadian snow. We will freeze up wetter than last fall, but fertilizer prices are sky high, and some new 2021 seeded stands died out. So another year of reduced forage production is to be expected.

It will be interesting to see how bred cow sales go next month. I have had several people tell me they want to buy breds in late winter. So who will feed them the next three or four months?

Last edited:
I found 100 bales at last year's prices before things got super dry. That was my saving grace this year. And culled half our cows. Got 3 or 4 more to get out of here yet.
I was in East Tennessee this past weekend, looked like the drought was over now. Where you over there?

I'm trying to get cows moved, been feeding some hay to bring them in, can't get some to cross the creek to where I need them. I have lots of stockpile waiting for the winter and some cornstalks with covers sowed in them, but can't get the old girls to give up on the thin grass. Grain won't even bring them in.

I was in East Tennessee this past weekend, looked like the drought was over now. Where you over there?
I'm roughly an hour east of Knoxville. We started getting rain again in September IIRC.

Total production for the year has been ****. Cold spring, and somewhat dry. 60% of our normal 1st cut. Then turned dry til September. 2nd cut was poop. 3rd cut was decent.

This year really showed how important rest periods are.

I pulled animals onto 1 field and am unrolling hay for a while. Letting everything grow.

Looks like it's gonna be a dry fall for the most part. Which is good, I'm feeding hay for the next 6 weeks. Got a good rain last night actually.

Where were you in TN?

I'm trying to get cows moved, been feeding some hay to bring them in, can't get some to cross the creek to where I need them. I have lots of stockpile waiting for the winter and some cornstalks with covers sowed in them, but can't get the old girls to give up on the thin grass. Grain won't even bring them in.

If only they understood English!

We got 3/4" of rain ahead of the Canadian snow. We will freeze up wetter than last fall, but fertilizer prices are sky high, and some new 2021 seeded stands died out. So another year of reduced forage production is to be expected.

It will be interesting to see how bred cow sales go next month. I have had several people tell me they want to buy breds in late winter. So who will feed them the next three or four months?
I am trying to find some 1000-1200 lb open 2-4 year olds in good condition. Hope to find some Saturday for a good price.

Cow sale at Jonesville tonight. I'm sure there will be some there. And cows are cheaper now.

You gonna be there, Kenny? What time would I need to be there?

If I don't work today I might can make it. About to find out how much rain we got last night. Probably too muddy for tracks.

Yall get much rain?

We got a good rain. And yes of course I will be there. Can't miss it. Hahaha
It doesn't start until 7. I'm hauling a couple in this morning then going to work and and then to the sale.
Also I'm working the Lady Equipment machinery sale Saturday and back to my job Sunday. I'm slowing down I thought.

We got a good rain. And yes of course I will be there. Can't miss it. Hahaha
It doesn't start until 7. I'm hauling a couple in this morning then going to work and and then to the sale.
Also I'm working the Lady Equipment machinery sale Saturday and back to my job Sunday. I'm slowing down I thought.
I was wondering about the sale as I may show up at the Lady sale and check it out if I can find my insulated underwear (suppose to be a cold winter day). Stopped last Saturday on the way home at 2 PM at the Western county cattle sale barn and bought 8 cows. Decent cows were going $1000-$1200 range. That is sure cheaper than raising heifers' if they turn out good.

Last edited:
I'm roughly an hour east of Knoxville. We started getting rain again in September IIRC.

Total production for the year has been ****. Cold spring, and somewhat dry. 60% of our normal 1st cut. Then turned dry til September. 2nd cut was poop. 3rd cut was decent.

This year really showed how important rest periods are.

I pulled animals onto 1 field and am unrolling hay for a while. Letting everything grow.

Looks like it's gonna be a dry fall for the most part. Which is good, I'm feeding hay for the next 6 weeks. Got a good rain last night actually.

Where were you in TN?
Pretty similar here. My stockpile is nonexistent with as dry as we were this fall though. Normally i have 60-90 days of deep fescue to graze but i will be lucky to get the 30 days of bear season out of it. I have hay left from last year but i will be making a lot of progress on cleaning out the barn this winter i expect. Was supposed to get some of that rain this morning but apparently you guys up in the mountains hogged it all and we got a sprinkle or two.

Latest posts