• Colorado

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Nevada

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Arizona

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
cross_7":z44zcjg9 said:
everything in the painting indicates it's modern time(modern cinch, leadrope snaps etc)
what i see is a texas flag saddle blanket, the headstall has texas star conchos and typical texas hat crease.
i also see a slick fork saddle, bucking rolls and he also is wearing chinks, none are indicative of texas.
the vegetation has foliage, but he has on a vest and a wildrag, but has taken his coat off and tied it behind his saddle so i'd say he's at a higher elevation.

i see a mix of cultures and doesn't appear to be in texas

i read where there is a house, barn and windmill in the painting but i can't see it

Palo Dura crossed my mind, but I agree the vegitation doesn't fit. The vegitation looks like some of the high desert evergreens.

After seeing something mentioning NM, it looked like some of the area in central NM a ways north of where the Lincoln county wars were held, lot of canyons with evergreens and clump of grass every 3 to 4 foot. I still don't get what they were fighting over out there?

But after looking at the website, I bet NW NM as that is where Bloomfield is and the guy in the painting went to school in CO.

I drove through the Farmington area one time, but I couldn't see the land scape due to the dust storm.

I chose Utah because it looks like the type of terrain I've seen in movies. Never personally been to an area like this.

That saddle blanket is a mix of the American and Texas flags. If it were a Texas flag you would see all white where the red and white bars are.

Isomade":1k0nq4fk said:
The saddle blanket looks most like the state of Texas, though it's not. One star and many stripes. I'll guess Texas.
hillsdown":1k0nq4fk said:
I was torn between Utah and NM .

My thoughts were that the rider has a Texas "flag" on his saddle(?) and the date\era that the painting was depicted ,how far he(the rider) would actually travel from Texas . Therefor I went with New Mexico, but it could very well be Utah.
slick4591":1k0nq4fk said:
I chose Utah because it looks like the type of terrain I've seen in movies. Never personally been to an area like this.

That saddle blanket is a mix of the American and Texas flags. If it were a Texas flag you would see all white where the red and white bars are.

Although I didn't recognize the flag as being "Texan"....Wiki does say that the "star and stripes" were used in early Texas history but never was the official flag of Texas...However the star and stripes was used by the Texas navy until it was annexed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Texas

1982vett":1pp88g0n said:
Although I didn't recognize the flag as being "Texan"....Wiki does say that the "star and stripes" were used in early Texas history but never was the official flag of Texas...However the star and stripes was used by the Texas navy until it was annexed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Texas

The position of the star shows that it must be it. Thanks for the history lesson.

I went with New Mexico. He's leading and riding a horse instead of a mule and just about everyone that I've dealt with from canyon country in arizona prefers mules. Plus he has a box hitch on his pack horse instead of a diamond and the diamonds are prefered in rougher country but the box hitch works better in more open country as they can breath easier and therefore travel better.

Come to think about it....before annexation, a bigger part of New Mexico WAS Texas along with parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming....

The saddle pad is The Lone Star and Stripes flag of Texas but maybe he was just visiting another state!

Isomade":3e9379ta said:
colleen":3e9379ta said:
Well I cheated and looked at the info about the painting. I'm so bad.
Link please
The guy in the painting is Lad dickey, a gulf war vet. He is on a rim overlooking the Grand Canyon, with his pack horse carrying everything he needs for his trip. He enjoys the feeling of being completely alone. It is titled "Where Freedom Lives".

My dads favorite artist was Charlie Russell. He would sit there and examine every detail of one of his paintings. Loved them. They are very detailed and true to life. Almost like he was on that horse and in trouble!!

colleen":3q81sy6m said:
Isomade":3q81sy6m said:
colleen":3q81sy6m said:
Well I cheated and looked at the info about the painting. I'm so bad.
Link please
The guy in the painting is Lad dickey, a gulf war vet. He is on a rim overlooking the Grand Canyon, with his pack horse carrying everything he needs for his trip. He enjoys the feeling of being completely alone. It is titled "Where Freedom Lives".
thats where i thought it was, and i aint ever been close........... great painting

Latest posts