Guess the Diagnosis

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1qkxxwni said:
Bright Raven":1qkxxwni said:
Abscess. I got back last night from Missouri. First one I checked was the bull. Noticed it was only as big a a golf ball. Squeezed it and pus came out. I palpated abdominal wall. All seems fine.

you forgot to give the uneducated one the credit for the diagnosis But I realize you think its impossible for someone without formal learning to ever be right.

Do you want a medal? ;-)

Hey. You forgot. I gave you a free psychoanaylsis a while back . We are even. ;-)

Bright Raven":15vjn6v7 said:
M-5":15vjn6v7 said:
Bright Raven":15vjn6v7 said:
Abscess. I got back last night from Missouri. First one I checked was the bull. Noticed it was only as big a a golf ball. Squeezed it and pus came out. I palpated abdominal wall. All seems fine.

you forgot to give the uneducated one the credit for the diagnosis But I realize you think its impossible for someone without formal learning to ever be right.

Do you want a medal? ;-)

Hey. You forgot. I gave you a free psychoanaylsis a while back . We are even. ;-)

no medal , But as with most things people overthink and create problems where there arn't any. In a vast majority of pastures this would not have ever been noticed and would have went away on it on or the first time he mounted a herd mate it would have likely drained .

M-5":30zzk9s5 said:
Bright Raven":30zzk9s5 said:
M-5":30zzk9s5 said:

Do you want a medal? ;-)

no medal , But as with most things people overthink and create problems where there arn't any. In a vast majority of pastures this would not have ever been noticed and would have went away on it on or the first time he mounted a herd mate it would have likely drained .

100 % agree

Stocker Steve said:
Are umbilical hernias hereditary?

Would you ever retain an animal with one for breeding stock?

Hereditary? I say yes. Have only had a few over the years except for one year when using a new sim-angus bull. Lots of umbilical hernias. Noticeable in about 20% of his calves if I remember correctly. None from the other bulls that year. Fortunately, closed on their own without trapping the intestines. Shipped him out.

I don't think that all of them are hereditary, but seems to be in this case.

Stocker Steve said:
Are umbilical hernias hereditary?

Would you ever retain an animal with one for breeding stock?

Yes to your first question. As for the second, like most things, it all depends on the animal.

Latest posts