Guess the Diagnosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Below is a picture of the navel area of a 9 month old bull calf. He is standing facing the left. There is lime on the ground under him and he has been laying in a loafing barn where it has gotten muddy.

The sac in front of the prepuce is the size of an orange. Upon palpation, it was solid. Not fluid or soft tissue. The sac can be pulled away from the midline of the abdomen. While doing so, I palpated the abdominal wall for an orifice. There did not appear to be an orifice - the abdominal wall appeared uncompromised. I could feel the button scar formed where the umbilical cord came through the abdominal wall.

I am going to have a vet examine him in the near future. Any guesses on what the diagnosis might be?
14slgl0.jpg

Bright Raven":1nz72ok9 said:
JMJ Farms":1nz72ok9 said:

Looks like it. But no orifice and the sac is solid.

I had one on a heifer calf last year. Not nearly as big, maybe the size of a ping pong ball. I diagnosed it as a hernia. But that's just cause I didn't know what else to diagnose it as :lol2:

JMJ Farms":270drok2 said:
Bright Raven":270drok2 said:
JMJ Farms":270drok2 said:

I had one on a heifer calf last year. Not nearly as big, maybe the size of a ping pong ball. I diagnosed it as a hernia. But that's just cause I didn't know what else to diagnose it as :lol2:

In an umbilical hernia, the intestines drop or are forced through a "hole" in the abdominal wall, thus entering the naval pouch. I did not feel an opening and the pouch is hard, like a tumor not like the soft feel of intestines. Don't misunderstand. I don't know what this is. That is why in the near future, I am having a vet examine it.

Bright Raven":2j0yvdxa said:
JMJ Farms":2j0yvdxa said:
Bright Raven":2j0yvdxa said:

In an umbilical hernia, the intestines drop or are forced through a "hole" in the abdominal wall, thus entering the naval pouch. I did not feel an opening and the pouch is hard, like a tumor not like the soft feel of intestines. Don't misunderstand. I don't know what this is. That is why in the near future, I am having a vet examine it.

Ron, this is worth exactly what it's gonna cost you. I mentioned the "knot" on the heifer calf to a local vet. He mentioned that it could be the result from a previous infection. That's about as forthcoming as he was as he is a moody old fart sometimes. Scar tissue? I'm interested in what you find out.

JMJ Farms":3vxro4nr said:
Bright Raven":3vxro4nr said:
JMJ Farms":3vxro4nr said:

Ron, this is worth exactly what it's gonna cost you. I mentioned the "knot" on the heifer calf to a local vet. He mentioned that it could be the result from a previous infection. That's about as forthcoming as he was as he is a moody old fart sometimes. Scar tissue? I'm interested in what you find out.

This is a seedstock bull. I have to find out and decide on his disposition.

M-5":1ud4xhh2 said:
A cyst . It will need to be drained or leave it be and it will drain on it's on when ready. Most likely from a injury , piece of wire or stick poked a hole and it got infected.

That is more likely than the hernia even though it does look like an umbilical hernia, it does not feel like a hernia. That would be a better outcome.

Stay tuned for the results - might be a couple weeks.

Good job explaining circumstances, although I would not keep for seedstock as appears he has a foot going in the
wrong direction, so I assume a rear leg was put on backwards... a trait like that should be culled from the herd. :)

Son of Butch":321tcmxl said:
Good job explaining circumstances, although I would not keep for seedstock as appears he has a foot going in the
wrong direction, so I assume a rear leg was put on backwards... a trait like that should be culled from the herd. :)

I was going to explain that. Lol

Ron, I am pretty sure it is an umbilical hernia, intestines are only involved very rarely and they have to be a big one. Usually it is only the falciform fat that finds its way down there and it can get strangulated off as the animal matures and the muscle tightens up and the hernial ring closes up hence you can't find the hernial ring.

I had one like that a few years ago and I slit up between hernia and prepuce to give a bit of bite for one of those heavy duty elastrator bands to get around it. It came off in about 10 days then the wound healed up quickly giving a smooth profile to the belly.

Ken

wbvs58":24jvds4x said:
Ron, I am pretty sure it is an umbilical hernia, intestines are only involved very rarely and they have to be a big one. Usually it is only the falciform fat that finds its way down there and it can get strangulated off as the animal matures and the muscle tightens up and the hernial ring closes up hence you can't find the hernial ring.

I had one like that a few years ago and I slit up between hernia and prepuce to give a bit of bite for one of those heavy duty elastrator bands to get around it. It came off in about 10 days then the wound healed up quickly giving a smooth profile to the belly.

Ken

I want to confirm this - you are saying the umbilical ring has closed, therefore, why I did not find an orifice. Correct? Therefore, the prognosis would be good. All I need to do is have the vet deal with the mass. The important point is - You are suggesting the abdominal wall is not defective!!!

Bright Raven":2ygz2nna said:
wbvs58":2ygz2nna said:

Ken

I want to confirm this - you are saying the umbilical ring has closed, therefore, why I did not find an orifice. Correct? Therefore, the prognosis would be good. All I need to do is have the vet deal with the mass. The important point is - You are suggesting the abdominal wall is not defective!!!

Yep that is correct Ron, maybe not completely closed but greatly reduced from how it was and often plugged with a bit of fat and won't allow anything important to drop out. What you have in the sac has been strangulated off and tends to increase in size with extra fluid and fat over time.

When I was at Uni a very good equine vet used to use deal with umbilical hernias in some very expensive thoroughbred weanlings using the cherio bands. He would tip them on their back and as long as he could get no more than 2 fingers into the hernial ring he would put 2 large safety pins (diaper pins) into the base in a criss cross fashion after first working the contents of the sac back into the abdomin and then put the band over the pins which held it close to the abdomin. By the time it fell off there was tightening of hernia and other healing and adhesions filled the defect, worked very well.

Ken

Abscess. I got back last night from Missouri. First one I checked was the bull. Noticed it was only as big a a golf ball. Squeezed it and pus came out. I palpated abdominal wall. All seems fine.

Bright Raven":xvtbrank said:
Abscess. I got back last night from Missouri. First one I checked was the bull. Noticed it was only as big a a golf ball. Squeezed it and pus came out. I palpated abdominal wall. All seems fine.

you forgot to give the uneducated one the credit for the diagnosis But I realize you think its impossible for someone without formal learning to ever be right.

Latest posts