Guess the breed

Help Support CattleToday:

I find it interesting that we can't tell what breed they are when the hide is on, but we can once the hid is off. Aren't you being a little stereotypical?
smnherf - My purpose in differentiating whether the calves were purebred - or not - was an attempt to eliminate the "shell game" of making the guess more complicated by introducing three or six or more breeds involved in a crossbreeding formula. If one can accurately determine the breed of calves that are all one color, but with slight phenotypical differentiations as these calves display - well done!

Insofar as to your inference regarding being a little "stereotypical" is concerned - if that were the case, I would have opined that they were all the SAME breed!

DOC HARRIS

nortexsook":cztu2knf said:
I guess that means the steaks are lowlines or lowline crosses also, but since he got so much negative feedback he forgot to mention that. He'll probably come on here and claim they are something different.

Funny, some of you "smarties" were guessing chi cross. Hard to get much on the opposite end of the spectrum: Lowlines to Chi-crosses. Ha-ha-ha...

Those steaks are what the industry is shooting for.... Probably High choice. As far as the fat cover, not much, bout as much as the average calf out there, or have you only seen steaks after they were trimmed? :)

The industry is shooting for choice or prime beef with a Yield Grade of 1-3. YG is determined mainly by the muscle VS the fat. I think these steaks would be in the "too high" YG. Lastyear's feedlot had 68 "natural" steers with:
.56 BF 12.32 REA and 3.27 YG
There were 89 Conventional fed steers with:
.54 BF 12.62 REA and 3.03 YG
It didn't list the average QG
mine were:
.41 BF 15.3 REA 2.4 YG - all graded Choice

Latest posts