Guess the breed (s)?

Help Support CattleToday:

mpassmore85

Reaction score
Any guesses on what breeds this calf is? Bought a heifer couple months ago and had a semi surprise today!

mpassmore85":34efjmz2 said:
Any guesses on what breeds this calf is? Bought a heifer couple months ago and had a semi surprise today!

I thought Jersey also, but that would be too easy.

I will say Murray Grey.

Momma uncertain of also some type of longhorn cross maybe angus. She is tiny 3 year old maybe 700 pounds

Def no corriente that much I looked into. She is small because previous owner fed extremely poorly. Was unsure about "dairy breeds" as the hip isn't right. considering calf is 60 pounds 5% is normal of mommas total weight he's a big boy

WalnutCrest":29ii2xn3 said:
Bullitt":29ii2xn3 said:
mpassmore85":29ii2xn3 said:

I thought Jersey also, but that would be too easy.

I will say Murray Grey.

It is not a MG.

MGs are grey.

No, not all Murray Greys are grey. They come in colors from what they call silver, which is very pale, to black like an Angus.

But now that I look closer, that calf looks brown.

WalnutCrest":2oxz3dqt said:
Silver = light grey

Black like an Angus = probably not a fullblood 100% MG
Murray grey is an Angus composite so you can have blacks and still 100% MG. They came in different shades of white/silver/grey/brown/black.

The momma has a black nose so the calf is definitely a Corriente, possible sired by a Corriente bull.

Look at the bases on her horns and her body shape. She looks to have a LOT of corriente in her.

From what I can tell, the black nose and tip of the tail on the calf look Jersey to me. The horns on the cow do look like possible Corriente, although a neighbor has some probably stockyards Jerseys and they have some healthy horns on them too,

Update. Called brand inspector here he tracked brand on momma. She is a pure bred longhorn (can register if I wish)
baby daddy still unknown contractor I bought her from said he didn't do any corriente was they are too small

mpassmore85":10gsjsmk said:
Update. Called brand inspector here he tracked brand on momma. She is a pure bred longhorn (can register if I wish)
baby daddy still unknown contractor I bought her from said he didn't do any corriente was they are too small

A comin 2yr old purebred longhorn heifer should have more horn than that.

She was pretty emaciated when I got her was shocked she was able to have a decent calf. Ps she is coming 3

mpassmore85":19otbqi8 said:
She was pretty emaciated when I got her was shocked she was able to have a decent calf. Ps she is coming 3

I did not think it was a Longhorn either because the horns were small. Someone was starving her. That sucks.

So you now know you have a half Longhorn calf. Is it possible there was a Jersey bull with that cow?

I doubt it not many jerseys in my country the few that are are in dairy's and very expensive. The cow was super cheap big group of them actually I got But all in rough shape when I got

Latest posts