Guess the breed (s)?

Help Support CattleToday:

mpassmore85":3fp6dpny said:
I doubt it not many jerseys in my country the few that are are in dairy's and very expensive. The cow was super cheap big group of them actually I got But all in rough shape when I got

Life is like a pregnant heifer you buy at auction -- you never know what you are going to get. :)

Lol true enough. Bought these from a rodeo contractor super cheap they "looked knocked up" and he didn't wanna deal with them. 400$ a piece for 9 heifers had 8 calves so far not shabby lol

mpassmore85":1xyh2i3o said:
Lol true enough. Bought these from a rodeo contractor super cheap they "looked knocked up" and he didn't wanna deal with them. 400$ a piece for 9 heifers had 8 calves so far not shabby lol

Wow, that was a good deal. You are lucky none of the calves died after being starved, though.

Is that ninth heifer pregnant?

Yup I'd say 3 or 4 days. They aren't easy to tell

She has been looking for about 10-12 days if she stops fast it's gonna pop out.

Calves were all born fine 5 got coccidiosos I assume from having diddly for immunity cause of how their mommas were fed gave them a bolus, and some vitamins and all were good after that. (Thankfully isolated the 9 in a 40 acre pen that is going to be cultivated so the soil can be decontaminated of the bacterium)

mpassmore85":8p6w2fij said:
Yup I'd say 3 or 4 days. They aren't easy to tell

She has been looking for about 10-12 days if she stops fast it's gonna pop out.

Calves were all born fine 5 got coccidiosos I assume from having diddly for immunity cause of how their mommas were fed gave them a bolus, and some vitamins and all were good after that. (Thankfully isolated the 9 in a 40 acre pen that is going to be cultivated so the soil can be decontaminated of the bacterium)

How do you decontaminate the soil?

I read that if the soil is allowed to dry out that the sun kills the parasites. I suppose you could use a tractor and harrow to break up the cow chips and help kill the parasites.

It's dry as a bone here think was just because the calves mommas weren't properly taken care of. No vitamins etc

I was planning on using some vinger my vet advised that it helps kill any lingering bacterium. In barn area I'm going to use very strong dose. He said these bacteria and any fungi can't live in a more acidic environment.

mpassmore85":808l5tzs said:
It's dry as a bone here think was just because the calves mommas weren't properly taken care of. No vitamins etc

I was planning on using some vinger my vet advised that it helps kill any lingering bacterium. In barn area I'm going to use very strong dose. He said these bacteria and any fungi can't live in a more acidic environment.

I am sure if you mixed vinegar and water you could spray all over the barn. Sweep out the barn and then spray. It should then be safe for other cattle. I have read that the raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is best.

Bullitt":31inwfoe said:
mpassmore85":31inwfoe said:

I am sure if you mixed vinegar and water you could spray all over the barn. Sweep out the barn and then spray. It should then be safe for other cattle. I have read that the raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is best.
So would bleach, and it's cheaper....

Bleach isn't that effective on most bacterium and actually Encourages fungal growth