Guess that's it for the swamp hay...

Help Support CattleToday:

Rydero

Reaction score
Finally rained, hopefully that's it for our drought.. 2" about two weeks ago now over the last few days another 6" and it hasn't stopped yet. Pastures are turning green again after being yellow for a month. It'll be interesting to see how much growth we get in the coming weeks.

We baled wild hay until right before the rain and went finished moving bales to high ground a couple days ago. Still 70 bales short of the goal and it's safe to say that won't be coming from the really low areas now. Not bad, all things considered 70 bales can be overcome.

Bottlefeeders and calves on the cull cows at home have never seen anything like this, lol. PXL_20210821_133345247.MP.jpg

So happy for you! Hopefully enough to produce some grazing and snow stays off until late.
Thank you. Hopefully we get some heat and things really grow. Greenfeed was taken early and all of it had some Ryegrass, Sorghum, Clover etc. seeded with it which has been growing good so far - there's a slight chance of another cut. It's too bad 150 acres of it doesn't have a fence or access to water.

How's things out West?

Thank you. Hopefully we get some heat and things really grow. Greenfeed was taken early and all of it had some Ryegrass, Sorghum, Clover etc. seeded with it which has been growing good so far - there's a slight chance of another cut. It's too bad 150 acres of it doesn't have a fence or access to water.

How's things out West?
Still plugging along. Another 100 bales today and we are caught up to cutters in anticipation of rain and a day off tomorrow. Four days cutting left at home and then 300 acres of swamps that friends were generous to let us do. Bought two loads of barley this week for winter delivery from some Hutt friends that treat me well.😳😳😳😳😳 Hola, but that stuff is gold. Calves won't gain without though.
Have bought some hay too. Bred cows going to get cheap this winter…… When all t'world goes one way, I prefer t'other.😉

Still plugging along. Another 100 bales today and we are caught up to cutters in anticipation of rain and a day off tomorrow. Four days cutting left at home and then 300 acres of swamps that friends were generous to let us do. Bought two loads of barley this week for winter delivery from some Hutt friends that treat me well.😳😳😳😳😳 Hola, but that stuff is gold. Calves won't gain without though.
Have bought some hay too. Bred cows going to get cheap this winter…… When all t'world goes one way, I prefer t'other.😉
Hope the Hutts were easy on you, been hearing barley has been trading over $11/bushel. If you need it, you need it though. Hard to get calves to gain well on hay alone..

I'd.love to go the other way again but it'll be tough enough to feed the cheap ones I bought over the last 2 years, lol. Wish I had empty pastures and the feed I've made so far to buy breds. There's been a lot of nice cows going cheap.

Last edited:
Hope the Hutts were easy on you, been hearing barley has been trading over $11/bushel. If you need it, you need it though. Hard to get calves to gain well on hay alone..

I'd.love to go the other way again but it'll be tough enough to feed the cheap ones I bought over the last 2 years, lol. Wish I had empty pastures and the feed I've made so far to buy breds. There's been a lot of nice cows going cheap.
I got some good friends in northern Alberta. It will be dry rolled with some canola oil added for less than $10 delivered.

Another 2" inches of rain today. That's 10" in 2 weeks. I think that's more rain than we've had the last 2 summers put together.

What will it take to recharge the soil and the sub soil ?
Still not pooling much. Last year was descent growing with very little meaningful rainfall on the back of probably close to 20" of rain/snow in the late fall. If we get significant snow and it rains next summer we'll be in good shape with this. If it's dry again idk but I'd say we'll be in better shape than we were last year.

You getting any moisture?

Finally rained, hopefully that's it for our drought.. 2" about two weeks ago now over the last few days another 6" and it hasn't stopped yet. Pastures are turning green again after being yellow for a month. It'll be interesting to see how much growth we get in the coming weeks.

We baled wild hay until right before the rain and went finished moving bales to high ground a couple days ago. Still 70 bales short of the goal and it's safe to say that won't be coming from the really low areas now. Not bad, all things considered 70 bales can be overcome.

Bottlefeeders and calves on the cull cows at home have never seen anything like this, lol. View attachment 7423
What's the temperature up there like at the moment? Those calves look cold.

You getting any moisture?
Forecast is cooler and wetter, but that does not say much. Last weekend we were supposed to get 1/2 to 1" total from 3 fronts. We got 1/4", 3 1/2", and 1/10". The big rain was the first since early April and came in about an hour.

Time to get the drill out. Is it too late for forage oats? I talked to one guy who was going to plant a mix of rye and oats.

Forecast is cooler and wetter, but that does not say much. Last weekend we were supposed to get 1/2 to 1" total from 3 fronts. We got 1/4", 3 1/2", and 1/10". The big rain was the first since early April and came in about an hour.

Time to get the drill out. Is it too late for forage oats? I talked to one guy who was going to plant a mix of rye and oats.
It's late to get a crop of oats up here. It'd probably do ok for grazing if you need. Why not plant something that'll come back next year too?

Incredible, after our 10"+ of rain it's stayed warm and the grain crops I cut all grew back. They have some random Millets, Sorghum, Clovers seeded with. Decided to see if it's worth cutting and it's been going approximately a bale of silage an acre. Not bad for 2nd cut grain in the worst year ever. PXL_20210919_165737424.jpgPXL_20210919_164716255.MP.jpg

I have seeded 3 paddocks of oats with turnips or rape, and 2 paddocks of rye with hairy vetch. Weatherman says the next month will be "above average" temps.

How cold does it need to get to end the growth of oats vs. rye ?

Is there any reason you would graze them before a killing frost?

I have seeded 3 paddocks of oats with turnips or rape, and 2 paddocks of rye with hairy vetch. Weatherman says the next month will be "above average" temps.

How cold does it need to get to end the growth of oats vs. rye ?

Is there any reason you would graze them before a killing frost?
They'll take some light frost and keep growing depending what stage they're at, the oats should be good to 20F. Rye a little colder.

Nitrates after a killing frost would be the main reason to graze them sooner but probably not a big concern if you haven't applied copious nitrogen and it's young.

Not personally and we do everything wrong except we never put empty cows on something that's froze out. Some friends have had feed tests show them. Should lessen with time if you're worried.

Latest posts