Guess I’m selling the wrong kind /Craigslist

Help Support CattleToday:

A local gentleman raised emus for awhile here, I was a kid at the time so I'm not sure how long he actually had them. He always had a stand at the fair selling it. I know the emu sausage gravy over biscuits was quite delicious, I wasn't afraid to go back for seconds on that meal. Then again I'll eat anything except rice, unless I pay for it with a meal then I'll eat it, they're gonna charge me the same whether I leave the rice out so I'm gonna get my moneys worth. Haha. That's one thing my wife has always liked about me, in over 6 years of marriage I can count on one hand the times I've mentioned a meal that didn't turn out edible and I don't think I need all my fingers to count them.

heard somebody... bragging about how many ostrich burgers they sold at the state fair one year. The guy said that they never bothered to tell the rest of the story about how many ostrich burgers were thrown in trash can with just a bite taken out of them.
I find that hard to believe.

At Mn state fair very rigorous testing and taste panel of judges to even get in.
Never had emu or ostrich, but imagine very lean and dry. But with spices, sauces and bacon :) any ground meat can be made to taste good. I would expect it to sell very well as a novelty at fairs ect. but not necessarily in repeat sales. Would have to be extremely gamey or poorly handled to be discard after one bite.

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe.

At Mn state fair very rigorous testing and taste panel of judges to even get in.
Never had emu or ostrich, but imagine very lean and dry. But with spices, sauces and bacon :) any ground meat can be made to taste good. I would expect it to sell very well as a novelty at fairs ect. but not necessarily in repeat sales. Would have to be extremely gamey or poorly handled to be discard after one bite.
Just repeating what somebody else said.
Personally, I would take it with a grain of salt too. Food ain't cheap at the state fair ever so I doubt there is much wide spread waste like described either.

Just repeating what somebody else said.
Personally, I would take it with a grain of salt too. Food ain't cheap at the state fair ever so I doubt there is much wide spread waste like described either.
The guy probably saw a little kid take a bite and throw it in the trash instead of handing it back to Mom. "Looky there, Mom & Dad bought 2 burgers and 1/2 of them ended up in a garbage can." lol :)
People love to exaggerate.

Most all the adds on the local Facebook livestock group for highlander calves for sale are a scams. People are gullible enough to make an online deposit on cattle they haven't seen and are miffed when the seller and cattle later don't seem to exist.
That's exactly why our family started using hitchpin to sell our livestock. Buyer and seller protection.

My wife got into the mini highlands. The market is great for them right now as pets. We ended up having someone offer to buy the whole herd and averaged sale price was around 6k a piece. I would buy back into them but you cant find any quality miniatures for under 5k a piece and I think it will be a short lived fad.

Highlands are the breed of choice for the backyard hobby farmer. The gentlewoman farmer thinks that they are super cute and just wonderful. They don't realize all the downfalls. I had a wife of a friend tell me they are getting them. I replied "No, don't." She got pizzy with me and said "You're not my husband!" I told her that I'd make her a powerpoint as to why that's not a good idea, but she was sold on the fact that you buy them at $4K, they must be worth that. They ended up not getting them. Instead they got two steers, one of which died and they got no meat from it. They never did cattle again.

my Grampa bought a highlander heifer as a joke for my father...that cow and her decendents were some good cows! mostly they were hereford crosses but then we went through a spell with a bunch of different kinds of bulls and there were some that got some brahma in them. GOOD mama cows, good calves. still get a notched ear once in a while, though I quit tracking them.

My wife got into the mini highlands. The market is great for them right now as pets. We ended up having someone offer to buy the whole herd and averaged sale price was around 6k a piece. I would buy back into them but you cant find any quality miniatures for under 5k a piece and I think it will be a short lived fad.
So you did sell, right?

Latest posts