Guarding the harem

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
We have bulls separated with their own girls but they share an adjoining fence. This morning we noticed the older bull standing and mooning over the fence. We walked through the younger bull's pasture and then noticed him streaking past us and thought he was going to get into a fight over the fence. Instead, he hustled around the pasture rounding up his women and herded them to the back of the place. He may not be as big but he sure is smarter. Kind of like watching an elk round up his harem.

The bigger bull may be smarter because he knows his supply is running out before hand and the younger one appears to be perfectly satisfied with his small ration.

I noticed that last summer with Big Gun. The neighbors bull (much smaller than Big) was bellering at the connecting fence and pawing and snorting. Make a heck of a scene and Big took off from about 100 yrds to the fence. I thought for sure I was going to have to patch up or pay for some medical attention, not to mention a fence. BUT he just gathered up the ladies and moved them to the east side of the pasture.. I thought that was one smart bull, he knows to protect his women first and only fight as a last resort... :cboy:

Some human boys could learn a lesson from these super smart bulls.. :lol2:

It sounds like the older bull is working the owner into a better suppply demand ration. He is letting the owner know he needs a little bit better cut, since his genes are much more valuable than the younger bull's genes. If the older bull runs out of supply, he can just plow through the fence. You may want to consider sending a couple of more breeding units to "daddy". :mrgreen:

I have had a couple "herder bulls" that will gather up their harem and try to keep them separate from the other bulls...These bulls can also be a pain in the butt when you're trying to move the cows somewhere and they'll get in front of the herd and try to herd them back....

i hate bulls that round their ladies up an put them in another area.they are a pain in the backside.when we milked we let the cows come into the holding pen when they wanted.an sometimes a cow would be in heat.an the dang bull would go in the holding pen an drive all the cows out.an wouldnt let them get milked till you went an ran him away from the barn.

bigbull338":2pvhx78v said:
i hate bulls that round their ladies up an put them in another area.they are a pain in the backside.when we milked we let the cows come into the holding pen when they wanted.an sometimes a cow would be in heat.an the dang bull would go in the holding pen an drive all the cows out.an wouldnt let them get milked till you went an ran him away from the barn.

That bull was smart also.
:mrgreen:

hillsdown":2sle517m said:
I noticed that last summer with Big Gun. The neighbors bull (much smaller than Big) was bellering at the connecting fence and pawing and snorting. Make a heck of a scene and Big took off from about 100 yrds to the fence. I thought for sure I was going to have to patch up or pay for some medical attention, not to mention a fence. BUT he just gathered up the ladies and moved them to the east side of the pasture.. I thought that was one smart bull, he knows to protect his women first and only fight as a last resort... :cboy:

Some human boys could learn a lesson from these super smart bulls
.. :lol2:

AMEN

hillsdown":1fpcx8sb said:

Some human boys could learn a lesson from these super smart bulls.. :lol2:
"Human boys" can't learn anything because of the one thought that keeps popping into their mind every three seconds.

We've had a couple of bulls that, when they hear/see the bike coming into the paddock to muster them, will herd their cows away from you. It's funny, because you can go in there on a bike a dozen times without wanting to move the mob and ride around and through them checking them and they won't care, but the day you want to move them, they just seem to know

Latest posts