guardian dog great with cows

Help Support CattleToday:

S&J

Reaction score
We've raised two Great Pyrenees cross pups from 9 weeks old and they have been with cows their whole lives except a short period indoors to house train them. They come, sit, lay down, and "go to bed", and are very good watchdogs for our property and cows. If anyone would like one, they are free as long as you agree to maintain their heartworm , flea, and yearly rabies shot protection.
Steven and Jeannie, Georgia, 229-425-1572 (we can send pictures and more info if you like.)

tncattle467":323p6941 said:
It is unfortunate but you have violated the rules of the forum. Any and all adds need to be placed in the classifieds. There is no advertizing allowed on this forum PERIOD!

Why don't you let the Mods worry about this kind of thing. Chances are that they did nothing wrong other than try to find a home for the two dogs. either way it's not your business, but as usual you will find a way to mind it. :shock:

I know someone that would have loved to adopt one of your dogs, they lost their pyrenees cross to cancer last year. It was a strange year everyone in my family lost a dog to cancer last year. They have just adopted a pyrenees cross puppy and they love her. I am sure you will find very good homes for your dogs, as pyrenees are wonderful dogs, they are good as predator protection as well as being great with children.

They are for sure some serious dogs. I watched a litter of 7, 10 week old puppies reduce the offal from a big mule deer buck to a wet spot on the ground in about 90 minutes a few yrs ago. The parents of that mob would regularily reduce a coyote to scraps in a matter of minutes.

They sound like wonderful dogs. If I didn't have so many dogs now, I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Alice

spinandslide":140i814k said:
LOL 3way..the mob..:)

hope the OP finds wonderful homes for their GP's..they for sure are some good livestock dogs.

they were a mob. Great dogs but not foo foo pets at all. He ended up keeping 3 from that litter plus the parents. They killed every coyote within 5 miles of his house.

Coyotes have made a big comeback since they started dying of old age.

S&J":3e8xmlfn said:
We've raised two Great Pyrenees cross pups from 9 weeks old and they have been with cows their whole lives except a short period indoors to house train them. They come, sit, lay down, and "go to bed", and are very good watchdogs for our property and cows. If anyone would like one, they are free as long as you agree to maintain their heartworm , flea, and yearly rabies shot protection.
Steven and Jeannie, Georgia, 229-425-1572 (we can send pictures and more info if you like.)

S&J we already have one and I can tell the folks they'll love those dogs and the dogs will love the animals. I've watched our stand in the rain, standing over a couple of baby cats keeping them dry.....very lovable but Lord help the coyote that tries to cross the pasture....He's dead already and doesn't know it.

3way..Ive heard they are some awesome livestock dogs..but very independent minded..prob due to their usage of being a livestock protection dog.

Might have to consider one for my place..had a yote come within 5 feet of me the other night..my catahoula ran it off, but kinda nerve wracking to have one that close to ya..

spinandslide":2j8h3qmu said:
3way..Ive heard they are some awesome livestock dogs..but very independent minded..prob due to their usage of being a livestock protection dog.

Might have to consider one for my place..had a yote come within 5 feet of me the other night..my catahoula ran it off, but kinda nerve wracking to have one that close to ya..

You know I never realized until Steffie (border collie) died ,just how much she really did around here. We never ever had coyotes around and then after we had to put her to sleep they were right in our yard eating the apples that had fallen off the trees. we moved our llama back up into the main area and now do not have coyotes around at all. It is amazing how much a dog can do as far as predator control as well as being a great stock dog.

I will never forget the time she ran down a yote and caught it at the fence line. The look on her face was priceless.. "What now mom ?" I called her on back and the yote moved on.. :lol2: That gal was fast, we clocked her at 38/40 kms/hr a few times when she would race us down the driveway at the dairy.

wow HD..that is fast..

my catahoula was fast when she was younger..now shes abit overweight..she can still move for a short distance, but then goes down to a jog..but she DOES NOT like the yotes..

I dont go outside without my dogs..they give me great piece of mind..they do alot..:)

hillsdown":2s3nozxn said:
I will never forget the time she ran down a yote and caught it at the fence line. The look on her face was priceless.. "What now mom ?" I called her on back and the yote moved on.. :lol2: That gal was fast, we clocked her at 38/40 kms/hr a few times when she would race us down the driveway at the dairy.

That's awesome! I clocked two of our dogs running beside the 4-wheeler at 45 km/hour. They couldn't keep it up for more than 1/2 a mile. I haven't clocked Ammo yet, but she's faster than the other's when she needs to be.

We don't have a yote problem, but the sheep farmers around here sure do. A neighbour has a GP, and if he isn't home, you don't get out of the truck. He takes his job very seriously... once he gets to know you he is fine.

From South Central Oregon. I sure would like to know more about GPs. I want them to live with the herd. Went to our former ranch a couple months ago, there was a GP there. Strictly an outside dog. Just wanted to meet us (mom was in a wheelchair) and then went back and laid down near the animals.

Most impressive and very much a desire of mine. Any help would be appreciated. :help:

Latest posts