Guardian angel for idiot

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I shouldn't tell this, but this morning I was loading some calves. Had my trailer backed Up To The Headcatch

One of them was giving me a lot of trouble. Finally got it headed up the chute, it ran into the trailer and like a idiot I Ran Up The Chute To Shut the Gate . It Came Back Out Of The Trailer And I Didnt Have Time To Get out Of The way. It Went Right Past Me And Rolled me At Least Once Or Twice. Like you Would Roll A Pencil Between The Palms Of Your Hand. Managed To Stay On My Feet.
Didnt Get Kicked Or Stepped on. I am A Little Sore. Not Much Room In There For A Six Hundred Pound calf And 230 Pound Me....
The next time I ran it in, I had the headcatch set, caught him, put a board behind him and let him in.
I knew better, could have really got hurt. One of the joys of being a one man operation.
Don't know why my tablet starting inserting capital letters finally gave up fixing them :???: :???:

Pretty good wake up call for me to think about what I'm doing. I'm supposed to turn sixty in a couple of weeks, if I make it :hide:

You mean I'm not the only one?????.. I was kind of wishing for my 10 gauge for a second instead of a hot shot.

Probably should have posted this in Greybeards demented topic

Only time it back fired on me was we were loading a bull in some old rotten pens. He got in the chute and decide the wanted to turn around. He parted that chute like the Red Sea. :shock: I hate letting cattle win but that pretty much stopped the show that day.

Years ago, our good friends and neighbors down the road (both still good friends of ours) decided to call it quits and divorce. Long story, with lots of family involved......no ill anything from any of them at any time.......but I'm supposed to help Pappy(the divorcing girl's granddad) load a few 8 weights on Wednesday morning at 8:15 after I drop my little one off to pre school. I was 5 minutes early, but he had tried to load them 20 minutes before that. The barn lot was full of flashing lights when I got there. He ended up in the loading alley with one coming back out of the trailer. Shattered pelvis. After they hauled Pap off, Hammy, or Mamaw McDonalds, as my daughter called her (his wife) had me to make sure those calves AND cows were gone by sundown. Pappy recovered, but she still won't allow him to have livestock or help in the working pens.

Glad that you came out unscathed. Accidents happen....just do your best to avoid them and call for help when you need it.

danl":2tzvxh8g said:
I shouldn't tell this, but this morning I was loading some calves. Had my trailer backed Up To The Headcatch

One of them was giving me a lot of trouble. Finally got it headed up the chute, it ran into the trailer and like a idiot I Ran Up The Chute To Shut the Gate . It Came Back Out Of The Trailer And I Didnt Have Time To Get out Of The way. It Went Right Past Me And Rolled me At Least Once Or Twice. Like you Would Roll A Pencil Between The Palms Of Your Hand. Managed To Stay On My Feet.
Didnt Get Kicked Or Stepped on. I am A Little Sore. Not Much Room In There For A Six Hundred Pound calf And 230 Pound Me....
The next time I ran it in, I had the headcatch set, caught him, put a board behind him and let him in.
I knew better, could have really got hurt. One of the joys of being a one man operation.
Don't know why my tablet starting inserting capital letters finally gave up fixing them :???: :???:

Lucky man.
More train wrecks happen around a chute than anywhere else.
Had my cousin get his leg broke by a Char bull doing virtually what you did.
Size matters.
After getting knocked out cold as a wedge is when my new pen design became a reality 20 years ago.

Had similar experience myself a few years ago trying to load out thru single file chute on lease place. Now have a few portable panels set up with 10 ft wide loadout that works well and gives me room to move out of the way if one does turn back. Just picked up another lease place with similar single file loadout and will get a few more panels to setup a wide loadout there also. Loading out ground load trailers thru single file chute is just too dangerous and I refuse to do it anymore.

I'm never in the alley when loading. All my loadouts are single file. Two trailer gates on the trailer, one swung into the trailer, the other in it's closed position. Shortest chute is about 30 ft. trailer is 20 ft. Not often do I have more than fits up front. Once they are in the squeeze area all I have to do is slide open the gate to the chute and start them up. When the last one is on the trailer I'm right their to pop open the other half to reach in and close the other gate. Gets a little harder if you got a full load, but I haven't had any that wanted to turn around and come back off with me right their.

1982vett":11b903fx said:
I'm never in the alley when loading. All my loadouts are single file. Two trailer gates on the trailer, one swung into the trailer, the other in it's closed position. Shortest chute is about 30 ft. trailer is 20 ft. Not often do I have more than fits up front. Once they are in the squeeze area all I have to do is slide open the gate to the chute and start them up. When the last one is on the trailer I'm right their to pop open the other half to reach in and close the other gate. Gets a little harder if you got a full load, but I haven't had any that wanted to turn around and come back off with me right their.

I haven't got in the alley chute in twenty years with one.

I've had them change their mind and start backing out, but thats the first time one came out full blast..
It should be a few weeks before I have to load anymore, getting ready to do a change in the way I load them.

Latest posts