Guard rail $

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1iqxyucc said:
For pens? That got popular for a brief moment until people started seeing how it would slice a cow open.
never seen any cows get hurt from it. how would it slice them open? :???:

I've yet to find any for less than $3/foot, and that's buying a huge amount. When I see it for sale locally it's outrageous.

Brute 23":enaoe8mz said:
For pens? That got popular for a brief moment until people started seeing how it would slice a cow open.
Yes Sir,
that's why I don't use it, bad stuff if they hit the back side very hard or even worse get a leg between two rails. It will do some cutting.

It's pretty easy for you to slip and fall if you need to climb up on it too (especially if you have an angry bovine chasing you).

Rafter S":36xljx4g said:
It's pretty easy for you to slip and fall if you need to climb up on it too (especially if you have an angry bovine chasing you).
i agree with that one :nod:

Every corral I seen it used on had the bumper part inside the corral and the edges on the back towards the post. Did people have it reversed and it got cut? if I could find some that cheap id build one out of it.

skyhightree1":1pfubqq5 said:
Every corral I seen it used on had the bumper part inside the corral and the edges on the back towards the post. Did people have it reversed and it got cut? if I could find some that cheap id build one out of it.
Them kind of folks needs the directions on the heel of boot to pour water out of them.

skyhightree1":1rmwzapv said:

I've never used any of it, but I understood him to mean that if a cow gets a leg through in the crack between two pieces is when it would get cut, and I can sure see how that could happen. Unless you put them close enough together that they couldn't get a leg in there, and then I really wouldn't want to have to try to climb it if I needed to get out in a hurry.

M-5":249ulxb8 said:
skyhightree1":249ulxb8 said:
Them kind of folks needs the directions on the heel of boot to pour water out of them.

Wouldn't that be the proper installation?

I get to work in a different pen on occasion and they are installed as sky describes. No sharp edges are exposed and they are close enough together that we have never had a problem.

ChrisB":3okmbj3n said:
M-5":3okmbj3n said:
skyhightree1":3okmbj3n said:

Wouldn't that be the proper installation?
I've built guard rail pens with rounded side facing towards animals . if it was divider run between 2 pens we welded wire panels between post or put 2 boards to keep animals off the sharp edges. My boot comment was for people that installed it in reverse.

There was a sale yard near here that all the pens were guard rail. I never saw a cut up cow there. A board above the bottom piece of guard rail will help a bunch. That way if a cow should stick a leg out it is running on the top of the board rather than the metal.
For a dollar a foot I couldn't get my wallet out of my pocket fast enough.