guard-rail for cattle pens

Help Support CattleToday:

(User Above)":345oc6f8 said:
: Can anyone tell me where to buy used highway guardrail for cattle pens?<br>The best place is to call the local hwy dept,city county or state and ask if they have some.In our area they contract the jobs out so you need to get the contractors number.In the Crossville,Tn area we pay $1.00/ft for used rail and $5.00/post.We have to weld 2 ft on the post to make it 8 ft long.We have used alot of it and are putting up 4000ft this spring. If I can help with any ideas on putting it up give me a holler at [email protected]<p><p>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I watched part of the Stevenson Basin Sale on RFDTV today. They used the guard rails for the bull pens. I liked the way it looked, and I believe it would hold up to any bull if put up correctly.

I watched the auction too and was impressed with the guardrails.

Stacked 3 high with space inbetween each.

New facility.

Did you see Bull # 300 go for $240,000 ?

CowCop":1fy78kfo said:
I watched the auction too and was impressed with the guardrails.

Stacked 3 high with space inbetween each.

New facility.

Did you see Bull # 300 go for $240,000 ?

that's a little price for that animal!!!! he's got no butt and looks somewhat sickly in the catalog picture.....

Look for them at you department of transportation. We paid $30 for 26 footers and 20 for 15 footers. Set the posts well. They are heavy.

Cowcop, I saw that. I was thinking that I would have waited until a few more bulls came down the line and grabbed one of the discounted ones at the $4000 range. I can think of some things I could buy with the other $236,000. Maybe the new land, tractor, hay baler and shed to put the hay bales in. I am not sure what made that bull bring so much. He was a CA Future Direction bull, but his EPD's weren't as high as some from the same bull that went for $4000. He was a nice bull, but so were the others. I guess this goes to show I am lacking in the knowledge dept. But I still have the $10.00 in my pocket that I had before the sale started! :D

Saw That bull sell too, looked like he was gonna bring over 250,000 for a minute.Guess it's got to be his bloodlines,and genetics I saw plenty of other bulls go for pocket change compared to him that I'd be proud to own.

Chuckie--he sold to Charlie Harris of ArTex Cattle Co in Arkansas.
Anyone know him, and how he could afford to pay that kind of price for a bull ? AND....its only for 1/2 semen interest and full possession~!!

Every bull sold was sold with full possession and 1/2 REVENUE-SHARING SEMEN INTEREST. Yikes.

Jake--he looked like he had a little bit more butt on the video... but not much more :D

Actually some of the Red Angus bulls looked better than alot of the Black Angus... did you find that as well ? Or maybe it was my TV screen....

I had my original $ still in my pocket after the sale as well......
but how I so wanted to bid on a few of those hefty bulls~!!

Wish they had shown the actual crowd in the facility and what was going on instead of the constant bull videos. A split screen every so often would of been nice.

Do you think the prices of all the 800 bulls will be published on someones website ?
Any guess, which one ?
Every time I go to the StevensonBasin.com my pc crashes...

from ranchers.net regarding bull #300

Oldtimer---that is a huge amount to pay for a bull I agree---but I would guess that there will be some syndicate of the bull or leasing with an AI stud---just think that at $30 per straw that is only 8000 straws of semen. I do realize that the semen revenue will probably be shared---

We have a fellow breeder that once bought a bull for around $4000 (at the time that was a huge amount of money), leased that bull at the age of 5 (after he had proven himself) to a semen stud and has made well over $100,000 on semen sales alone.

Another thing about lot 300 is that he has truly awesome numbers--very balanced----probably this most awesome of all is that he is the all time highest ultrasounding bull for marbling---scanned a 9.57 which is at the highest level of prime while having the fifth largest ribeye of the 600 yearling bulls scanned at Stevenson-Basin. To my knowledge he is the first bull with a marbling epd over 1.0 (most are something like 0.4) and his is 1.02---

Thank you Mr. Ziffle for that good information.
Anything else about that sale ?

probably this most awesome of all is that he is the all time highest ultrasounding bull for marbling---scanned a 9.57 which is at the highest level of prime while having the fifth largest ribeye of the 600 yearling bulls scanned at Stevenson-Basin. To my knowledge he is the first bull with a marbling epd over 1.0 (most are something like 0.4) and his is 1.02---

I have seen feed lots use them to feed. They have a stretch of cement, and put guard rail almost on the ground, and another above with enough room for the cattle to get their head through. They drive along and feed on the cement, and the cows reach between the rails and eat. before the next feeding they take the loader and push the leftover trash to the end and pile it up till there is enought to make a haul.