Grrr ... stupid stupid

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
It has recently come to light that when the AI guy came to put the ridiculously expensive straw of semen into my show doe, well they put it into the cull doe that was heading off to the abbatoirs instead because she prolapsed last year

:(

Might hang onto that prolapse doe for a bit longer ... meanwhile the show doe is empty ...

brick%20wall.gif

I'm trying to figure out which you are calling the stupid stupid, you or the tech

oh gosh. :frowns: If he ai'd the cull doe I kind of hope you get a male, what with speculation about prolapse and whether there is some genetic element to it.

bit of a no win situation isnt it :? either I chop the head off the cull doe and waste the $250 semen ... or I keep her, deal with the prolapse and all it entails again, but then what do I do with the kid? I suppose it needs to be terminal ... knowing the genetics behind the kids, I guess they'd probably make some killer entries in a carcass comp ...

:?

Keren":3jy46hvf said:
bit of a no win situation isnt it :? either I chop the head off the cull doe and waste the $250 semen ... or I keep her, deal with the prolapse and all it entails again, but then what do I do with the kid? I suppose it needs to be terminal ... knowing the genetics behind the kids, I guess they'd probably make some killer entries in a carcass comp ...

:?
Just hope she doesn;t settle! Then the dilemma is taken care of.

Seems to me the "questionable intelligence" is buying $250 goat semen in the first place.
However :eek: I reckon you have a reason. :help:

mnmtranching":3i468phs said:
Seems to me the "questionable intelligence" is buying $250 goat semen in the first place.

I was thinking that same thing too. $250.00 goat semen???

grannysoo":3k4l4gp2 said:
mnmtranching":3k4l4gp2 said:

Is it at least sexed? :lol2:

novaman":3onkak7y said:
grannysoo":3onkak7y said:
mnmtranching":3onkak7y said:

Is it at least sexed? :lol2:

And did they at least leave you some goat stink along with it? :lol:

A lady from Australia was milking her goat. She was starting to get a good rhythm going when a bug flew into the barn and started circling her head. Suddenly the bug flew into the goats ear. The lady didn't think much about it until the bug squirted out in the bucket. It went in one ear and out the utter. :oops: :frowns:

mnmtranching":1l84bjqk said:

You need to price semen from a good buck. The cheap stuff starts around 50-100 a unit.

Keren I would be totally p@ssed , that is a horrid thing to happen I hope your cull catches.

I am missing a priceless Holstien straw of semen from my tank, it is around $500.00 a pop if you can still find one. I am hoping that it fell down and is at the bottom .I am waiting for my supplier to come and empty my tank so we can search for it. I know darn well that I never used it as the bull is dead and I was keeping it for someone really special. I hope that it didn't walk away.. :(

I'm quite sure she's settled ... noticed her springing which is why I started asking questions :cry2: I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing that she settled. At least she's registered and from reasonable lines but she's certainly not the doe I wanted to put the straw into.

This is the buck, Warlord; he was bred in Qld, Australia, and sold to Brazil for around $40K, along with a second Apachie. Semen costs $250 (US), I paid $250 AUS for this straw from a friend's tank. The buck died last year so semen costs are expected to double, and it will be very very hard to get warlord semen.

warfrontlg.jpg

The show doe that the semen was supposed to go into is a daughter of Apachie. So a ridiculously well bred doe, who should have had a Warlord kid at foot by Melbourne Royal Show in September, but thats not gonna happen since I'm pretty sure she's empty.

He is gorgeous , I can see why you would want to use him..If I was you I would try and get another straw of him if you can find one and swing it financially.

AND be there when the tech Ai's your Doe... : :lol2:

Your cull must be a good looking doe as well if he thought it was your prize possession show doe.

I must have missed something. I had assumed this was a just recently done deal.

sorry dun, I didnt mention it earlier. she'd be due the first few days of august. she'd been hanging round here cos I didnt have enough culls yet to justify the trip to the abbatoir, well, now I have a few more and then I looked at her the other day and thought, gee, she's looking a bit springy. well after a bit of digging, looking through the books, trying to figure out if one of the bucks got out, or if I'd banded a kid late, it finally dawned that the cull doe was in the yard next to the AI doe ... I was off on a compulsory field trip for uni and was giving instructions over the phone ... when mum called and said the show doe was in heat I didnt want to miss that heat because I wanted to have the kid the right age at show time ... well turns out the cull in the next yard must have been in heat too, mum went off to work left instructions for the guy that the doe was in the yards. So yeah, no one's fault, just a big comedy of errors balls up. Not much I can do about it now cept :D

I'd been looking at that show doe thinking she wasnt looking very springy, but she's a bit like that, can surprise you.

Ironically the cull doe is from one of the top studs in Australia, ridiculously well bred, but as I said, prolapsed the vagina last year which is why I hadnt intended to breed her again. She raised a beautiful kid last year who is heading to a carcass comp in a few months.

Keren":2k3xatww said:
I'm quite sure she's settled ... noticed her springing which is why I started asking questions :cry2: I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing that she settled. At least she's registered and from reasonable lines but she's certainly not the doe I wanted to put the straw into.

This is the buck, Warlord; he was bred in Qld, Australia, and sold to Brazil for around $40K, along with a second Apachie. Semen costs $250 (US), I paid $250 AUS for this straw from a friend's tank. The buck died last year so semen costs are expected to double, and it will be very very hard to get warlord semen.

warfrontlg.jpg

The show doe that the semen was supposed to go into is a daughter of Apachie. So a ridiculously well bred doe, who should have had a Warlord kid at foot by Melbourne Royal Show in September, but thats not gonna happen since I'm pretty sure she's empty.

WOW! That goat looks more like a cow! Ignore my ignorance about the price... :banana:

Latest posts