GRR... Carpenter Bees

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I was in my building yesterday all i could hear was carpenter bees and them in there boring. I read some posts on here about them and making traps but I didnt see if there was a spray I could put down to keep them out. I wonder if I put in bombs that would kill them as I dont have time to sit and spray them with bee spray. :mad: :mad:

I think this was used for carpenter bees; a shiny penny in a sandwich bag of water nailed up randomly where they are working.

I don't know as I ever heard an explanation but oldtimers around here use it. Might be a load of BS or an old tale. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

lol if thats the case I got plenty of zip lock bags and shiny pennys but I would mix in boric acid in the water for them though lol

i followed the instruction on here I believe from jogeephus and they work like a charm. It takes a few days for them to find it but I have caught about 25 in 3 different traps this year.

I have a small shed they like. I just spray the wood with the same spray I use for fly control on the cows, permethrin/water. Seems to work, though they quickly found the wood that I missed.

J&D Cattle":2ih2h9zf said:
I think this was used for carpenter bees; a shiny penny in a sandwich bag of water nailed up randomly where they are working.

I used these for flies but not carpenter bees. The theory I heard about them was the fly has many eyes, and the reflection of the water and penny makes it appear as though there are many predators in the area so the fly stays away. I've also heard this theory has been debunked. When I used them I couldn't tell for sure if it worked or not because I still had flies coming around. No way to tell if it kept any away.

J&D Cattle":1umdk7ji said:

I don't think this works for carpenter bees but it does work to some extent with house flies. If you hang these over your windows or your door the flies will not pile up around the door and come in. Most won't anyway. I know several people who do this religiously each year. I've used them for the last two years and they help.

I went to southern states got some tree care spray for wood boring and eating insects that im gonna spray the only area they are concentrating on and see what happens and I am gonna mix in some liquid 7 too if they keep going as they are i wont have a hay shed

I have got those big wood-bore bees....resemble a bumblebee. My 15 year old daughter and a tennis racquet are fun to watch! I hope they aren't a protected species!

Birdshot and rat shot works good and it's fun to. You can still buy those shells. I built some kind of like Jo's and they work good to.

lol rat shot would be fun..lol jason thats exactly what i have i sprayed one and it fell down sprayed in hole where another was boring and it stopped

I am having an issue with them chewing on my wood deck, a couple snuck into my garage, and one started a hole on my wood trellis.

You can swat and stomp on the ones that you see getting in your face and crush them but that will not solve your problem. Those are most likely males. It is their job to run interference for the FEMALES, who are the ones busy boring tunnels into your wood to go deposit eggs. You can swat the females if you can catch them but they are only part of the problem. If this has been going on for awhile, they've probably excavated decent sized tunnels and deposited their eggs. Eventual the eggs hatch and the larvae mature into adult bugs that will come out to feed on pollen in August. Then they go back into the holes and hibernate there until next spring when they start a new mating and nesting cycle.

I sprayed WD40 in the holes and watched a bunch of them back out and die, but more kept coming. I had an exterminator come to my home and spray deltamethrin, an extremely popular insecticide that has become heavily used by exterminators for the last few years. It is safe for plants, animals, and humans, kills or repels a large variety of insects including carpenter bees, and when the liquid is formulated correctly it has a 90 day residual effect even against wind and rain. Then I was sitting there the other day at a gathering and I noticed the bees were back. They kept testing and probing the wood at various spots without drilling. The pesticide REPELLED them. However, because it was in liquid form it soaked into the wood. So even though they did not want to drill new holes in treated wood, they were not able to come in contact with the stuff and pick enough of it off the wood to kill them. Repelling them isn't good enough for me. My wood structures were not cheap to build and I do not want them looking like swiss cheese in a couple years, I want all of these things dead. Lesson: A liquid insecticide applied on wood surfaces will help prevent the damage, but will probably not kill them, and may redirect them to un-treated areas.

Further research showed that you absolutely have to squirt an insecticide specifically labeled or known to be effective on these things directly into the hole, as far as you possibly can. Everywhere I looked, SEVEN dust and DRIONE dust kept popping up as proven and effective options. A dust is recommended because it has a higher residual effect: If it is inside the holes it is protected from the elements such as rain and wind. And it will sit on top of the wood where it can come in contact with the bees rather than soaking into it where it becomes less effective. So what I did is I got a little handheld turkey-baster type-thingy with a tube on the end of it, and bought some SEVEN DUST from Home Depot. Then I went around jamming the tubes into the holes and puffing the dust in there. So now I have the liquid spray applied for a repellent and I have the SEVEN DUST inside the holes to kill the females who re-use them and the larvae in there.

For extra measure, I have two traps to use to catch any of the ones who avoid the poison.

This probably sounds like over-kill but I would rather this not become a multi-year battle where I helplessly watch my wood structures get eaten away to nothing. I hear when handled properly, the population dwindles within a couple weeks and it becomes much less of a problem in the following years. Time will tell.

Buy a can of Great Stuff. When they are in the holes just seal them in. They die and you get the hole filled in at the same time. Just go back later with a razor blade and trim off the foam that expands out of the hole.

I was back at my test shed today soon as I walked up I saw a carpenter bee in the front of the shed dead... I walked in the shed they moved to the other compartment of the shed and started boring again so i made another dose of my concoction which i have listed in pictures below and started spraying that ended all the chewing and boring and the ones that got direct hits couldnt fly and fell to the ground and eventually died. I video taped with my phone after i sprayed the roof supports they kept flying around but would not land on any of the wood this concoction touched. I see it keeps them off the wood and will kill them bad part is im gonna have to spray the whole sheds to keep it effective and them moving on to the neighbors buildings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsgMI6Ss0w

HOSS":1on2koz1 said:
Buy a can of Great Stuff. When they are in the holes just seal them in. They die and you get the hole filled in at the same time. Just go back later with a razor blade and trim off the foam that expands out of the hole.

Hoss I went back and looked and man there was way too many holes for all that lol

Latest posts