Growth under neck

Help Support CattleToday:

Vivian

Reaction score
My cow has a growth under her neck. I thought it was an abcess but it did not break or drain. It come out of the skin and is a round mass of tissue that bleeds when bumped or rubbed. I read about Lumpy Jaw, but this is loose and vascular. Could this be an infection or cancer?

We've had abcesses like this. We poke them with a needle or knife (a clean one) and see if any sort of puss will come out, and then put iodine in the hole and flush the lump out. We have wood posts in our fences, and think the cows get slivers from scratching. If left untreated, the lump will decrease in size, but takes a very long time to completely disappear. Without a picture, its hard to tell for sure if what we have dealt with and your cow is similar. If you are very concerned, call your vet.

I talked to my vet when I thought it was an abcess and he gave me Organic Iodine Dextrose to try. I have used it but nothing much has changed. I thought I might pass it by this forum to get some other input before I went back to the vet. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Vivian":3pirh9dq said:
I talked to my vet when I thought it was an abcess and he gave me [b]Organic Iodine Dextrose [/b]to try. I have used it but nothing much has changed. I thought I might pass it by this forum to get some other input before I went back to the vet. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

What the heck is that ? :roll:

Latest posts