Growth rings?

Help Support CattleToday:

riquezada

Reaction score

I have this medium age cow that has these defined growth rings. Can someone tell how this cow faired nutritionally by the growth ring patterns the past few years? Thanks

A sign of being on hard times, and easy street. I wouldn't worry about it.

The foot grows an inch a month, if I remember correctly. So you can look back about 6 mo from now and try to remember what was going on to cause that.
We have seen the ridges, and it often relates back to a stressful event, like an abortion or illness, or even a fever.

In the horn you can count the calves.. though I guess any drastic change in nutrition/health/energy expenditure will do it

Yep all four. Only thing I can think is she had a calf (3rd or 4th) last Feb 28th in a big snow storm and cold spell. They all got extra grain thru it though... and they all came out if it in spring in really good condition.

Fire Sweep Ranch":22fwbv19 said:
The foot grows an inch a month, if I remember correctly. So you can look back about 6 mo from now and try to remember what was going on to cause that.
We have seen the ridges, and it often relates back to a stressful event, like an abortion or illness, or even a fever.
I think it grows a lot slower... 1/4" a month sounds like plenty, but I think it may depend on the age of the animal.. if they're actively growing it's probably faster