Growth Hormones??

Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
We currently buy about 20 feeder steers a year and pasture feed them for about 9-12 months. When they get around 600-700 lbs, we sale them back. We buy them at 300-400 lbs, and are all pasture fed.
We have never given them growth hormones before, but I think we are going to start. What is the best growth hormone for our operation? I have done some research on this, but there are a number of them to choose from. What kind and how much of the active ingredient do we need for more and faster weight gain? Is it the more active ingredient, the more weight gain? Any tips on hormones would be appreciated. And is this a good idea or not.
Thanks. :help:

I don't recommend anyone using growth harmones, however, there are some good additives such as Lasalocid Sodium (Bovatec) and Monensin (Rumensin) which can be included in the feed ration which increases feed utilization and thus more rapid rate of gain. Both are worth the money but raising the inclusion rate above what is recommended doesn't necessarily do anything except raise price.

I don;t know if it's the best but aorund here the most popular?commonly used is Ralgro

IMO - everyone should be feeding Bovatec or Rumensin in their mineral program. Biggest "bang for the buck".
When we implanted, we used Ralgro. The only reason we don't anymore is the "perceived" bad stigma. Implants more than pay for themselves.

A friend of mine set up an experiment using Revalor, Ralgro, and Synovex implants along with a control group. The experiment was performed on steers being run in a feedlot situation. His results show Revalor and Synovex had substantial returns on investment. Ralgro did have a return on investment but was quite minimal as compared to the other two implants. In fact, the steers on Ralgro were only a few pounds heavier than the control group after 4 months on test. Meanwhile, the Revalor and Synovex groups were significantly higher. I don't remember off hand and I don't have the numbers in front of me but it seems like 25 pounds is in my head.

The implant people will tell you that you'll get an additional 25 + pounds of gain. That being said, we still won't use them.

IMO, it promotes a negative image for the beef industry.

Something to consider is that the implants require a certain level of nutrition to have the desired effect. Not sure if there is any difference in the feed quality needed between the various brands, but its something to look into closer before deciding on which one to use.

Here in the 3rd world we have licks specifically developed for growing weaners out on pasture that yields very good results, I'm sure you'll have similar products in the 1st world to supplement the pasture.

We quit giving any hormones over 10 years ago. The steers weighted less then the heifers.
Never went back to them.

According to science implants are safe and do no harm to consumers. And have been proven to increase weight gain in cattle.
The US beef industry would be better off in the long run with no implants. It would open the EU to US exports of fresh and frozen beef. Other then the US the EU is the largest market for Beef.

mnmtranching":x4iuz0qy said:
According to science implants are safe and do no harm to consumers. And have been proven to increase weight gain in cattle.
The US beef industry would be better off in the long run with no implants. It would open the EU to US exports of fresh and frozen beef. Other then the US the EU is the largest market for Beef.
Good point.
It is well documented on the safety & $$$ benefits - but with the "perceived" stigma, we don't use them anymore (maybe for the past 10 years).

I really appreciate all the advice on growth hormones. I know this is a touchy topic with some people. But if it is safe and adds weight and is worth the money, I don't see a harm in it. I think I will do an experiment this year and see what happens. Thanks a lot. :tiphat:

ScottyB":oyxkcq7n said:
I really appreciate all the advice on growth hormones. I know this is a touchy topic with some people. But if it is safe and adds weight and is worth the money, I don't see a harm in it. I think I will do an experiment this year and see what happens. Thanks a lot. :tiphat:

Scotty....it's like Jeanne said..."it is the "perceived" bad stigma".

I agree with the implants being safe, but it is my understanding that more muscle is produced, but less intramuscular fat. I like a well marbled steak.

From what I remember, if you go for the full program (birth, weaning & several during feedlot stage) you will get steers about a frame size bigger & leaner - have to get them about 100# heavier to grade. But, if you just use the birth and/or weaning implant, it doesn't seem to have that affect on the final carcass. Mike Baker at Cornell at a lot of research on that.

I guess it depends on what your situation is. If you're trying to make a living raising cattle, then the extra pounds produced with implants is hard to ignore. As Jeanne alluded to there can be grading issues with some implants. I think a good program is Ralgro then Revalor with Component or Encore as the terminal implant. The increase in weight gain with Revalor can be as high as 20%, that's a fairly compelling argument for implants from a producers point of view .

Larry

mnmtranching":1gezz9lx said:

Exactly, implants do no harm to consumers or the cattle; but you aren't ever going to convince some groups here and in Europe that. We would be better off outlawing the product and ending the debate once and for all rather than be shut out of Europe because of it and give our critics something to scare people with. I don't know why we don't just accept that we can't win this debate and move on.