Growth characteristics of Holstein and Jersey calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Just trying to learn more about this. I see both drop calves and weaned calves (I'm talking Holsteins and Jerseys here) at the sale barn. The drop calves I believe are about 1 week old and still have to be bottle fed. The weaned calves I believe are about 10weeks old and weaned but I suspect they are/were on feed. I'm not interested in doing any bottle feeding but was thinking about getting some weaned ones. I'm looking for some insight on the what I can expect in terms of mortality, vetting protocols, and the best way to transition them to pasture for grow out to about 7cwt. Also, what ADG can I expect?

dun

Reaction score
They'll need grain all the way to 7 cwt unless you want to pasture them for a loooong time. Weaned dairy calves are fed grain from the very beginning and to get the nutrition they need post weaning they'll still need grain. 1% of body weight, increased as the grow, of about 16% protein is called for.
Hit them with the max dose of a serious antibiotic as they get off the trailer, wait a week or so then vaccinate them for all of the normal things for your area. They can go straight to pasture, but the grain is still necesarry

bigbull338

Reaction score
weaned calves will need 5 to 6lbs of feed every day.even if they are on grass to keep them growing good.an they will need their normal shots.