Growth after banding

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
We have a calf that was banded last year, sac fell off OK, but now he has delveloped a growth, abscess, or something where the sac fell off. The growth is a little smaller than a golf ball. I just noticed it yesterday when I got it in the pen. I was planning on selling it to an individual as a feeder, but don't want to give them problems.

I am thinking it may be because I got the band too high on this one, and the skin did not grow back together properly after the sac was gone. After consulting with my vet on the phone, he said if it was not raw and infected looking, to just leave it alone, but other than that he couldn't say without looking at it.

Has anyone had this type problem after banding?

I don't have any pics of the growth, but here is the steer:

http://grangercattleco.com/gmsharon05s.html

I actually watch my vet remove what was a growth that fits your description last week. The guy used kite string to band his. Came back two days later and cut the sac off. It then swelled. Doc cut the mass off and then stiched the open wound. Never heard about how the calf did but it was alive the next day.

I have two calves that have little dimples where their's came off. Kinda looks like a little teat.

Don't think I'd lose sleep over this - if not raw. Does calf seem to be in any obvious distress ?
I was wondering - is that an injection site inflamed on his neck ? May just be a patch of hair that was licked up.

Scotty":3pl40na8 said:
Doc cut the mass off and then stiched the open wound.

I asked the vet about banding the mass, but he didn't recommend it. Of course he hasn't actually seen the steer, so I didn't really expect him to recommend something like that, sight unseen.

Bullbuyer":3pl40na8 said:
Don't think I'd lose sleep over this - if not raw. Does calf seem to be in any obvious distress ?
I was wondering - is that an injection site inflamed on his neck ? May just be a patch of hair that was licked up.

He does not appear to be in any distress - eats, walks, and acts like all the others. I just happened to notice something hanging down between his back legs when I was close behind him in the loading alley, so I took a closer look.

Yes, that is an injection site lump on his neck. We worked all the cattle in mid April.

Latest posts