Grown Bull Sucking

Help Support CattleToday:

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
In 50 years of farming I've never seen it. I have a three yo Angus [stud]bull that sucks every cow he can get to. At first I thought it was a fluke, it's not. It seems to be going on constantly. The cows don't seem to mind though. Short of selling him to slaughter or keeping him seperate, which would be kinda hard, what to do? I'm not a major farmer anymore w/ only 30 cows and the bull.

Some one told me there was a thing called "Can't suck" I don't know if they was funnig w/ me or not. I've Googled "Can't Suck" and I can't find anything. Any help would be grateful.

How common is this?

I don't know how common it is, but I had one in the past like that. He got relocated into a new zip code. There have been some posts on here about a device to put on a calf, but I don't remember what it was called. Someone will come along that does soon...

I agree with the others, put wheels under him. With dairy heifers they put wires through their noses, but I don't think that would work well on a bull.

Larry

Well, there is a "weaner" device and you can get it in many sizes. You can get the cow size, it is a metal deal with prongs on it so when they try to suck it pokes them. Problem is if you have automatic waterers it won't let them drink.... I spent the money for one, had it on for total of three hours, and decided that was a waste of good money and took her out and threw her in with the horse. Put another 100# on her then she went to the processer on Wednesday. I think you may have a big problem here being he is your only bull?? Time for him to go if he don't knock it off.