Growing your own Tobacco

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Hey, was wondering if anyone around here has grown their own tobacco

I grew some this year and just finished curing it, and am just getting started smoking it... WOW, is it ever a different flavour and smell. My friend has been growing his own for years, he can hardly stand commercial stuff anymore... My main motivation for growing it are financial predominantly, but I figure I'll get the added benefit of smoking less harmful stuff at the same time

was wondering if anyone has much experience curing it, and about different varieties

Nesikep":2svfe2w2 said:
Hey, was wondering if anyone around here has grown their own tobacco

I grew some this year and just finished curing it, and am just getting started smoking it... WOW, is it ever a different flavour and smell. My friend has been growing his own for years, he can hardly stand commercial stuff anymore... My main motivation for growing it are financial predominantly, but I figure I'll get the added benefit of smoking less harmful stuff at the same time

was wondering if anyone has much experience curing it, and about different varieties

I grew tobacco for most of a lifetime, what do you want to know? It's a nasty habit and will surely kill you and everyone within 5 miles of you. At least that is what they tell me.
Considering the Canadian tobacco taxes, I'd say you are well served to grow your own.

I'm looking for information in general I guess, I don't have enough foundation knowledge to get into specifics at this point... I did just (yesterday) get a new book on growing tobacco so once I read it I may be able to be more specific.

loose tobacco in a can here is worth 200$/lb...

As good as you are at mechanical things, Nesi, I don't know if you can successfully grow the tobacco you need for the best smoke. Tobacco is grown at your latitude (obviously, since you have grown the weed). Are you smoking a pipe or trying to roll your own. Public acceptance deems the american blended cigarrete as the best smoke in the world. Think Marlboro.
I grew burley tobacco. Burley makes about 25% of a Marlboro, But the other 75% is a mix of "flue cured" and "turkish" and molasses and who knows what.
You would be ahead in $ to flount Canadian and buy your cigs in KY. +
Google will give you a number of seed choices. Good luck.

I think americans thing american cigarettes as the best in the world... When I did travel in your neck of the woods (Lebanon IN), I smoked marlboro... I do own a pipe, but I usually roll my own... my old man smokes pipe and would like to try making a pipe tobacco as well... the variety I grew this year is a virginia I believe, it's called Delgold... I also grew 6 plants of turkish, I'll try them later... Last time I was in indiana I think smokes were about $3/pack, at the time I smoked a pack a day... I do much better than that by rolling my own even with canadian taxes.

I think tobacco is well suited to our area... particularly this microclimate... a sandy loam soil (which I read is a good thing), and we have a long enough growing season if you transplant from a greenhouse, which most people do. Thanks for the info!

At $200/lb for loose tobacco might make it worth a trip up your way. What's the border crossings like? If its anything like our southern border you and I can make Bernie Maddoff look like a street pimp just off floor sweepings.

Jogeephus":39kyz3tq said:
At $200/lb for loose tobacco might make it worth a trip up your way. What's the border crossings like? If its anything like our southern border you and I can make Bernie Maddoff look like a street pimp just off floor sweepings.

Ever heard the term "Assume the position, eh!" Well you will if those Mounties at the border catch you smuggling anything into Canada. Last time I went thru there they didn't seem to have a very well developed sense of humor, and that was 15yrs ago!

kenny thomas":gg657tin said:
One farm I have cows on has 80 acres of burley. The owner has 125 acres of tobacco total. That should keep u supplied for a while. :lol:

At 3000 lb/acre estimated yield and 1300 cigarettes/lb that will keep me until next week. :D

Some university prof picked up all empty cigarette packs after a Montreal Expos baseball game and about 90% had US tax stamps. This was several years ago when you could still smoke at a baseball game.
When the Ayatollah took over in Iran and began to enforce Islams "no tobacco" law, the Wall St. Journal reported that tobacco companies mysteriously began to have increased sales to countries bordering Iran which were nearly egual to the reduced sales to Iran.

3waycross":3u3ecsfw said:
Jogeephus":3u3ecsfw said:

Ever heard the term "Assume the position, eh!" Well you will if those Mounties at the border catch you smuggling anything into Canada. Last time I went thru there they didn't seem to have a very well developed sense of humor, and that was 15yrs ago!

Yep last year when we went into Canada they almost stripped the truck looking for something. I smoked then and did not think I was going to get across the border with what I had in the pack in my pocket, I aint about to try anything more.

Jogeephus":dsq4p0cc said:

Jogee, somewhere in between someone other than the grower is making the profit. It averaged about 1.70 a lb last year. Sales have not started here yet this year.

Its got $52/lb tax on it so that is where some of the money goes. I think the US grew a billion pounds of it last year and I'm pretty sure this tax figure is correct so that's a pile of revenue the gov't can use to fund their anti-tobacco pro-homosexual ads. Heck, that's almost enough money to run congress for a day but I still just can't believe we actually elected a smoker for president..... maybe he will come out of the closet shortly and then it will all become clear.

3-Way, surely we can outrun a fella in a red jacket riding a horse..... if we drive your truck.

Nesi, not mine but my neighbors field. Its been cropped now but there are enough regrowth I imagine you could easily pick several hundred pounds of green leaf. All we got to do is figure out how to get it from here to there. Maybe I could just get Bobby to drive the truck and he can just tell the boarder patrol he didn't know better if he gets caught. They'd believe him. :lol2:

IMG_1488.jpg

shucks Jogee, I might ought to make a run out your way and bring myself back a truck load. No borders to cross

Come to think of it, is tobacco still legal? They've pretty much outlawed smoking in town and in restaurants and such.

Backhoe, there are three wharehouses near my house that are full of tobacco at the moment. Only place I know where people have gotten rich with a broom. The smell inside the wharehouses is unbelievable. I think its still legal in certain areas but I learned a few years ago that its a fineable offence to smoke in public in DC but its alright to kiss your boyfriend in public. Try to explain that one to your children. :???:

Is it still illegal to buy a Cuban cigar in the US???

my neighbor grew tobacco one year and tried to roll cigars, it didn't work to well, and the smell was gross, but I don't like tobacco smoke smell anyway.

chrisy":1zdva5wv said:

my neighbor grew tobacco one year and tried to roll cigars, it didn't work to well, and the smell was gross, but I don't like tobacco smoke smell anyway.

Yep, can't buy, sell or import.

slick4591":34rjx2ru said:
chrisy":34rjx2ru said:

Yep, can't buy, sell or import.

Tobacco plants don't like a lot of rain, Chrissy. I think that leaves London importing if you decide to enjoy a fine cigar.
I'm not a cigar man, and I don't know the law, but Cuban cigars are easily available in the US at a price.

I'm not a cigar man, and I don't know the law, but Cuban cigars are easily available in the US at a price.

So is marijuana. :lol:

Cuban cigars are illegal in the United States, except for pre-embargo cigars which are very rare and extremely expensive. If U.S. citizens attempt to buy, own or bring any Cuban cigars into the U.S., they may be subject to fines and other penalties, depending on the particular circumstances.

http://cigars.about.com/od/cubantradeem ... 62002a.htm

Latest posts