growing whethers

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
wanting to know does anybody by kid goats at weanning and raise them to slaughter weight. what is slaughter weight gor goats. any info on raising whethers from weanning to slaughter. tell me where i can find more info on this subject

The peak market to hit was about a week ago. do to the holidays of certain people. IMO the weight would be from 60 to 90 lbs. Thats when they taste good to me. Seems in the Livestock Journal they are the most profitable.

The highest return is on goats at 50-65 pounds, typically around 6 months of age. One of the lcoal sales barns runs around 1200-1500 head once a month. The last sale goats in that weight range sold at 1.60-1.70 per pound live weight. Doesn;t matter if they're does, bucks or wethers, they all bring the same per pound. Spent a good part of the day Tuesday with a gent that runs 1000 head or so of goats. They have a USDA branded goat meat program. Packaged in chunks, made up of whole loin, ribs, rear leg front leg, they get $5.50 a pound.

if 60 to 90lbs. is the best wieght what is the weight when they are weaned. does anybody raise whethers or young does like some people do stockers in beef cattle or does everybody use breeding stock and sell off the offspring.

Weaning age is about 4 months. Honestly, I've never weighed ours at that time to find out, but I would estimate (and I'm really no good at estimating) about 20#.