Growing vegetables in lick tub

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
Eagles007.jpg
Took this picture a couple weeks back. I planted 2 broccoli in each tub. Also have some lettuce,carrots,and kale planted.

On the same lines, you can take a 30 gallon herbicide drum and cut it in half. Once in half, invert the top section with the spouts and put that into the other half. When you see how deep it goes, drill a one inch hole in the bottom half where the top meets so you can add water. In the top, stick some old cotton rags through the spouts to be used as wicks and fill the top half with the best soil you can. This setup is pretty handy if you are like me and sometimes forget to water container plants as the wicking action will take care of things for quite some time.

Jogeephus":3h5amor1 said:
On the same lines, you can take a 30 gallon herbicide drum and cut it in half. Once in half, invert the top section with the spouts and put that into the other half. When you see how deep it goes, drill a one inch hole in the bottom half where the top meets so you can add water. In the top, stick some old cotton rags through the spouts to be used as wicks and fill the top half with the best soil you can. This setup is pretty handy if you are like me and sometimes forget to water container plants as the wicking action will take care of things for quite some time.

Can you post a picture for me cause I can't seem to envision this!
Thanks
Char

Lick tubs, drums, 5 gallon buckets...... the list goes on.

People would be surprised to find out that many things grow better in containers than in open soil.

Onthebit":1i5dnwvi said:
Jogeephus":1i5dnwvi said:

Can you post a picture for me cause I can't seem to envision this!
Thanks
Char

Here is a picture of what I was trying to explain. The container is actually two halves. If you look at the mid center area you can see the hole. This is where you fill the lower reservoir with water using a garden hose. The top half is stuck inside the bottom half and has the same size holes drilled in this with cotton rags shoved through it. These rags go all the way to the bottom of the reservoir and Ideally come up through the potting soil as well. Though it still requires some attention it doesn't have to be babysat like a lot of potted plants do since the water can wick its way up from the reservoir with the rags. Hope this makes it clearer.

IMG_3197.jpg

Latest posts