growing mushroom in logs

Help Support CattleToday:

brownmule

Reaction score
any one ever tried that ?.. not the cow patty ones but gourmet ones LOL .. i have a large ravine /hallow that has a creek from the over flow of our pond, its steep straight down except one spot. moss grows there all over the place. did lots of research and im gonna try the log farming in that section.. got an order in at local sawmill for oak slabs w bark they are gonna set me some aside. found a place here in the states that sells spores. gonna give it a try this spring. if you have did this how did it go?
rose

Are you talking about Shitaakee (sp?)? I tried it once with a kit I bought. They did pretty good and are good to eat too. I think my area is too hot for them to do well so I dropped the idea. There is a forester in S.C who was doing this and it got my interest up. He cuts down certain species of trees and then cuts them up like fence posts and places them in the ground on an angle. Drill holes in the "post" and places inoculated plugs in them. I think he was getting a good price for them and was doing pretty well. If I can remember his name I'll get it to you since he would probably be a good one to talk to.

yep thats the ones.... from what ive read the oak does the best. thats my game plan.. great , when you find out the guys name pass it on thanks again rose

Gee, I wasn't using bad language, maybe poor spelling and I got censored. :shock: :lol: But I see you got the poiint. :lol:

Jogeephus":1pg53fbi said:
Gee, I wasn't using bad language, maybe poor spelling and I got censored. :shock: :lol: But I see you got the poiint. :lol:

:shock: I will try it, Shitake mushroom

KenB":2ip15wmj said:
Jogeephus":2ip15wmj said:

:shock: I will try it, be nice mushroom

Yep, I'll bet you spelled it correctly, I looked up the spelling before posting it, and spelled it correctly.

;-) SH!TAKE

LOL yeah thats why i didnt say what they were called.. LOL glad to see were on the same page anyway LOL
glad to see that your wife grew them in logs.. thats what im gonna do i got the cool damp place that ant be used for any thing else.. its straight down a hill too steep for pasture., w big rocks. w creek in the center.. looks like mushroom room pasture to me LOL thanks for input Rose

Jogeephus":3ekq7k57 said:
Rose I hope old turtle-raiser doesn't like to eat em. :lol:

yeah me too,, shell probley leave them along since they arent those magic mushrooms.. my cows have big horns thats the only reason she has collected them from the pasture LOL
plus im putting them on a side far way from her.. it would take work to get to them.. shell probley sue me and make me pick her some ! :x :roll:

brownmule":1bpf8vb9 said:
Jogeephus":1bpf8vb9 said:
Rose I hope old turtle-raiser doesn't like to eat em. :lol:

yeah me too,, shell probley leave them along since they arent those magic mushrooms.. my cows have big horns thats the only reason she has collected them from the pasture LOL
plus im putting them on a side far way from her.. it would take work to get to them.. shell probley sue me and make me pick her some ! :x :roll:

:lol: Or ole turtle-head will sneak over and steal some then sue you cause they don't get her high. Kinda like the idiot that was in the news recently who called the police cause her dealer sold her some poor fake crack. :lol:

I studied doing this project a couple years ago for one of my boy's science fair entry. Got the book on it. Never did it. I think it was Sweet Gum logs recommended for propagation instead of Oak.

Latest posts