Growing Hair

Help Support CattleToday:

blranch

Reaction score
What is the best way to grow hair on a steer(suppliments, conditioners, etc.) without putting in a cooler?
Thanks.

OK, I am going to tell you exactly how to get the hair you want.

Sell your steer! Then, breed his momma to a Galloway bull, wait 9 months, then start over!! That will get you all the hair you could ever possibly want. :lol2:

Just kidding, had to say something like this as we were just talking about all the hair my cows have at the show last week.

sorry I don't have any real advice for you though! :???:

Rinse, comb, brush, brush, brush, blow, and repeat.

The last 120 to 90 days, keep them in as cool and dark area as you can, follow the above steps 2 to 3 times a day.
Keep fans on them and misters during the day. We feed the stabilized rice bran and give the melatonin you can get the pills from Wal-Mart, We add 30, 3mg pills to their feed every morning or you can give them Grow & Shine a product that has Melatonin in it as well as other vitamins and minerals.

You can do all of this but if the genetics aren't there do not aspect the calf to grow allot of hair; the hair it does have will look good though.

blranch":2bwebfqc said:
Any of you use Shag? If so what are your thoughts on it?

It's an over priced product that works no better than others out there. Get some Showbloom, Grow and Shine, and a bottle of Wheat Germ Oil and then you have Shag.

blranch wrote:

It's an over priced product that works no better than others out there. Get some Showbloom, Grow and Shine, and a bottle of Wheat Germ Oil and then you have Shag.

Well are there other hair growth suppliments that are better?

blranch":h4svjsox said:
blranch wrote:

Well are there other hair growth suppliments that are better?

The 3 I listed are.

Showbloom, Grow and Shine, and a bottle of Wheat Germ Oil

Why do you like those three better? Is it just because of cost or because they work better?

Cowboy 2.0":22txo6h0 said:
by Cowboy 2.0 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:37 pm
blranch wrote:

Why do you like those three better? Is it just because of cost or because they work better?

They work as good or better and are cheaper.

Do you just top dress those three?

blranch":3s5xe0a5 said:
Cowboy 2.0":3s5xe0a5 said:
blranch wrote:

Yes.

Cowboy 2.0":f35nlgfe said:
blranch":f35nlgfe said:
Cowboy 2.0":f35nlgfe said:
blranch wrote:

Yes.
How much of each and Do you feed that mix just the last 90 days or the whole way through?
Thanks Cowboy.

We fed the whole way through. As far as amounts, the showbloom should come with a scoop and I would do a scoop at each feeding. The other two I would feed in the morning only. As far as amounts go, I've never really measured, just poured. Grow and Shine has the amount on the label. The wheat germ oil, I would pour a circle midway around the bowl on top of the feed.

So do you supplement the same as it recommends for humans? Or how much Grow and shine do you give them?

Grow & Shine, 1 oz or 30 cc's, we use a 50 cc syringe and just pour it in (keep your finger over the whole on the bottom) we feed Grow & Shine for the last 90 days. Feed it once a day and the morning is recommended.

shazam from moormans works just like hide & hair but cheaper. also kleen sheen after rinsing while in front of fans with a rice root brush also works wonders

Kleen Sheen, Show Sheen, etc... do not promote hair growth. They make hair shiny because they coat it with oils. I'm not saying they're bad, just that they don't directly promote hair growth. Indirectly, maybe, in that you spray it on and the more you comb and brush and blow, the prettier it looks, so you tend to do more of that. There are some spray on products out there now that claim to nourish hair and promote growth - we're just now trying one of these. I'll try to remember to update in a few weeks and let you know what we think.

There are tons of feed supplements out there that are supposed to help grow hair. Everybody has their own opinion, but for us, I've felt like Shag has worked well. It is expensive, and we don't use it on every calf every time, but when we need it, it's our go to.

Latest posts