Growing Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy":v8fqtu9b said:
All I know is that I've read cattle can get bloat by eating too much alfalfa and you can't feed it as total winter feed so that's why I'm trying to avoid it.
Well we bale pretty much all alfalfa no bloating.Where you get into bloating is when you put them onto pure wet alfalfa. For our pasture we plant some alfalfa in with the grass. If you plant clover DON'T plant white clover plant red way better yield.

Fence do you no till your fields? That sounds like a very interesting alternative to growing hay. I'll have to do some research on that for sure.

Fence do you no till your fields? That sounds like a very interesting alternative to growing hay. I'll have to do some research on that for sure.

Any thoughts on legumes? I have enough grass for grazing am looking to stockpile them.

Also Wondering if the tall fescue would be an option in my area (avg rainfall only 23 inches a year.)

arkie1":2ol6zgf7 said:

I typically till in the fall for oats. In the spring I no till haygrazer into the oats for summer grazing. I also no till ryegrass into my perennial pasture in the fall.
Most folks just sling ryegrass. But with our often hot and dry October. I see much better results drilling . another thing I don't have a no till drill. I use a single Coulter drill. With the pasture grazed short I wait for rain. Let it get just dry enough to not stick to the disk. Set on deepest setting I'm am able to get the seed in deep enough. ....works for me. No till drill is at the top of my wish liat

NECowboy":2ub4q0vw said:
Got 30 acres of dry land farm ground on new property that can use to grow feed. Thoughts on what should grow - alfalfa, prairie hay, corn etc? Wanting to reduce feed bills the most cost effective way.

Diaries grow silage because it is cheap energy. Beef guys may grow some corn for back grounding.
Diaries grow alfalfa because it is cheap protein. Beef guys may grow some alfalfa as drought insurance.
Equipment, harvest, and storage can "eat" you up in both cases.
Grazing grass/legume mix perennials and crop residue are usually the low cost approaches.

callmefence":otg8nzko said:
I use a single Coulter drill. With the pasture grazed short I wait for rain. Let it get just dry enough to not stick to the disk. Set on deepest setting I'm am able to get the seed in deep enough. ....works for me. No till drill is at the top of my wish liat

Why a no till drill if a single coulter drill works for you?

Stocker Steve":gebrlrh8 said:
callmefence":gebrlrh8 said:
I use a single Coulter drill. With the pasture grazed short I wait for rain. Let it get just dry enough to not stick to the disk. Set on deepest setting I'm am able to get the seed in deep enough. ....works for me. No till drill is at the top of my wish liat

Come on man. My wife reads this forum.

callmefence":3n9ucyfp said:
Stocker Steve":3n9ucyfp said:
callmefence":3n9ucyfp said:

because a single coulter is akin to plowing with a mule and no-till drill is akin to plowing with a cab tractor. He would be able to plant more in less time therefore have move time to spend with his wife.

M-5":396q545h said:
callmefence":396q545h said:
Stocker Steve":396q545h said:

because a single coulter is akin to plowing with a mule and no-till drill is akin to plowing with a cab tractor. He would be able to plant more in less time therefore have move time to spend with his wife.

Alright so seriously guys the thought of renting out dry land forever makes me cringe and I don't want to be eaten alive in equipment costs thus corn is out. Want to get something like jd 5065e tractor for all purpose and then whatever I can go do cheapest that's why I thought hay equipment and growing some nicely fertilized type of hay that I can get a few cuttings off of. Going to need the tractor for snow removal, moving bales, all purpose use might as well get some attachments to go with. So that in mind with looking at tractor as sunk cost is hay best idea or something else?

Latest posts