Growing a young heifer for show

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear56

Reaction score
I will admit this is completely out of my wheelhouse but my niece asked us last fall to take a calf to the fair this summer. My plan was to have her take a market feeder but her 4H advisor says all market animals must be sold and go to slaughter even feeders at this years fair. I've never heard of that but regardless my niece chose to take a breeding female project instead. The calf she chose dropped yesterday and the fair is late July. My plan was to creep feed her and wean around 90 days to give her time to get the calf broke and used to being washed, blown out etc. The cow really isn't going to let us work with the calf with her around.
My question is are there any recommendations on show feeds or is it not even worth it with a calf this young? Just stick with our normal starter feed?

I will admit this is completely out of my wheelhouse but my niece asked us last fall to take a calf to the fair this summer. My plan was to have her take a market feeder but her 4H advisor says all market animals must be sold and go to slaughter even feeders at this years fair. I've never heard of that but regardless my niece chose to take a breeding female project instead. The calf she chose dropped yesterday and the fair is late July. My plan was to creep feed her and wean around 90 days to give her time to get the calf broke and used to being washed, blown out etc. The cow really isn't going to let us work with the calf with her around.
My question is are there any recommendations on show feeds or is it not even worth it with a calf this young? Just stick with our normal starter feed?
Your calf does not half to be sold I've been in ffa for 6 years and never have I had to sell animals if they didn't make it to top 10 or what not ok don't worry if you want to show and then keep the heifer if she doesn't place but don't worry I would just get the calf halter broke and get used to being washed ok that's the basilica because the calf is a little to young for show I mainly showed goats in these 6 years but I shows cows with five goats also this year so if you need more help tell me minimum age to be able to show a cow is 12 to 14 months of age because that's when their able to breed becuase then you'll breed her then show her and her baby as a pair :) just message if you need help I would love to help.

Provide good-quality hay.
Any animal that is on a grain-based ration should be fed grass hay, grass-hay blend or grain or forage hay. Don't compromise the quality of hay, but don't focus on feeding a forage high in protein like alfalfa, since the calves are getting their protein from their grain ration