Grower Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ky colonel

Reaction score
Does anyone have a operation where they get calves/steers at 2-300lbs and grow them up to 8-900lbs? What kind or profit per head are expected ? if they are on pasture, what kind of supplement feed is given?

$1 profit per head per day is in the ballpark right now. Really depends on your local market, value of gain, and cost of gain. Grass or feed operation?

well ranch man i was thinking grass and feed if people do that. if you have them on pasture would you need to feed so much grain and hay a day just to make sure they was getting enough?

ky colonel":2zmtu8jt said:
well ranch man i was thinking grass and feed if people do that. if you have them on pasture would you need to feed so much grain and hay a day just to make sure they was getting enough?
Of course. 2-4 lbs of ddg while on pasture will get you some decent gains. What are your goals of gain and returns?

well never have done this but i wondered if it was possible to buy say in march some 300lb steers and sale in nov at 800 to 900lbs? but is that possible?

ky colonel":jh0wzof2 said:
well never have done this but i wondered if it was possible to buy say in march some 300lb steers and sale in nov at 800 to 900lbs? but is that possible?
That would require 2.5 lbs average daily gain. Not unattainable but would require 2% of body weight of protein (feed) daily plus roughage.The calculator I posted above will give you an exact profit/loss. I would recommend starting on a small scale (as much as your comfortable losing). Try a few or full feed, straight pasture, or a median of both to see what works best for you personally :2cents:

was just looking at the cost per head on that shaz,but thats something i didnt take into account if you are at higher risk loosing a 300lb calf. great insight guys.

ky colonel":79jf9qud said:
To get any real good gain you'll need to supplement some. I wouldn't feed straight DDG but would mix it 1 part DDG with 2 parts corn and feed more of it to ensure gain. You should get a 1 lb. gain for each 6-7 lbs. grain mix. Allow unlimited grazing or feed hay. They always need roughage.

Latest posts