Group of Bred Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

The last set looks like a fair price. A cow should be worth the price of 2 calves right now. A good horned Hereford bull on those brangus and those calves should top the market.

Son of Butch":3jnkvhey said:
RanchMan90":3jnkvhey said:
The last set looks like a fair price. A good horned Hereford bull on those brangus and those calves should top the market.
RanchMan - How much are you asking for "your" group 3 ?
:lol:
Lol those arent mine, I've just got replacement heifers for sale right now. Those aren't the cheapest I've seen but the man said he didn't want sale barn cattle.Those heifers could use a bit more bone, people ask a premium on country cattle though.

RanchMan90":laevd2kp said:
Son of Butch":laevd2kp said:
RanchMan90":laevd2kp said:
The last set looks like a fair price. A good horned Hereford bull on those brangus and those calves should top the market.
RanchMan - How much are you asking for "your" group 3 ?
:lol:
Lol those arent mine, I've just got replacement heifers for sale right now. Those aren't the cheapest I've seen but the man said he didn't want sale barn cattle.Those heifers could use a bit more bone, people ask a premium on country cattle though.
A couple look more like "who knows what" than brangu but they are black. I wouldn't want them at any price.

Could someone post a link of something worth while? I've heard the term "more bone" from my cousin in pigs, so I can somewhat relate that to cattle.

MudHog":3ke583t0 said:
Could someone post a link of something worth while? I've heard the term "more bone" from my cousin in pigs, so I can somewhat relate that to cattle.
The most worthwhile cattle I can think of is I'm taking in black aged bred cows in second trimester for $650 to sell them and their calves next fall. $800-$1400 will buy any bred heifer that walks through a salebarn today. Im sure these guys are registered operations and they may be able to help you out with that.

MudHog":3lphh61f said:
How do these look? Not saying I am buying them, I am trying to get a benchmark for me to reference.

http://www.cattlerange.com/610C544-201/610C544-201.html
They look decent but overpriced. Personally I don't see them being able to make the payment in your application. I would go sit through some sales for your benchmark reference and see what good cattle are bringing, then you should be able so find some of your liking in the country for $100-200 over market value.

I'm not looking for a benchmark for price. I am looking for a benchmark of frame, body condition, stance, etc.

MudHog":2fipa0in said:
I'm not looking for a benchmark for price. I am looking for a benchmark of frame, body condition, stance, etc.
I got it now.To help better answer your question what's your target market going to be show cattle, replacements, or commercial commodity cattle?

commercial commodity cattle.

I have a thought of having one or two cows worthy of show calves, but that isn't a priority and I can work on that after I get my commercial herd put together.

If you ask 100 different people you'll get 100 different opinions on the benchmark cow. These should get you in the direction you need to be, they have good length, depth, and thickness with adequate frame, gut capacity, and femininity. A tick of ear (Brahman) will be good in your area bred to angus or Angus composite bull or a Hereford on the solid cows.

You will be hard pressed to find quality cattle at a reasonable price on that website.

People are going to cringe but there actually some good cattle sold on Facebook. People who don't normally sell cattle can get their wives or kids to post a couple heifers for them. You can deal indv to indv. Its a great resource.

Brute 23":16nm8bp9 said:
You will be hard pressed to find quality cattle at a reasonable price on that website.

People are going to cringe but there actually some good cattle sold on Facebook. People who don't normally sell cattle can get their wives or kids to post a couple heifers for them. You can deal indv to indv. Its a great resource.

I created a Facebook group for cattle sales, but it is still young. There was one that I was on, but you had to sift through the hay and equipment ads. I created a group just for cattle. No other ads allowed.

Let me ask this: My thought was to look for a group lot of cattle as opposed to buying 1,2,3... here and there. Not only for the group having grown up together, but buying power of a group. I realize cash will be the best negotiator, but was thinking group size would be another factor. Am I better off just looking for more small numbers and piece the herd together?

MudHog":2n14x74g said:
Brute 23":2n14x74g said:

I created a Facebook group for cattle sales, but it is still young. There was one that I was on, but you had to sift through the hay and equipment ads. I created a group just for cattle. No other ads allowed.

Let me ask this: My thought was to look for a group lot of cattle as opposed to buying 1,2,3... here and there. Not only for the group having grown up together, but buying power of a group. I realize cash will be the best negotiator, but was thinking group size would be another factor. Am I better off just looking for more small numbers and piece the herd together?

I have mixed feelings about buying groups. There can be some buying power but most people don't cull as hard as they need to. If your buying out a herd that some one worked years to put together... then yes... it can be a good thing. If its a calf crop and the seller is selling the whole heifer crop you can bet they are not all that uniform. The top third will be nice, the middle will be ok, and the bottom third will need to be cut.

Its a deal by deal basis. Go where the good deal is. Don't be afraid to cut or tell them you don't want certain animals out of a group. If they try to tell you... you have to take them all... walk away. I don't do gate cuts or any of that BS either... my money... I get to pick.

Brute 23":3loucd2o said:

The registered and commercial cattle for sale group is a pretty good one I've used to move cattle on. Which group is yours muddog?