Ground Rice Hulls

Help Support CattleToday:

hayrack

Reaction score
Does anyone on here use these in a ration? If so tell me about it please.

Nothing but cheap filler. A cow will starve to death with a belly full of the things. Most less expensive pelleted cattle feeds (cubes especially) will contain quite a few if the crude fiber is very high. Some people are using them mixed with shavings for bedding for horses and show cattle.

How are you considering using them?

TexasBred":2n4tgj9a said:
Nothing but cheap filler. A cow will starve to death with a belly full of the things. Most less expensive pelleted cattle feeds (cubes especially) will contain quite a few if the crude fiber is very high. Some people are using them mixed with shavings for bedding for horses and show cattle.

They will be mixed in a mix wagon with DDGs and at times some soy pellets and corn gluten pellets and fed to 5 to 6 weight cattle. Was thinking about using around 10% of these.

hayrack":26jhzpsj said:
TexasBred":26jhzpsj said:

They will be mixed in a mix wagon with DDGs and at times some soy pellets and corn gluten pellets and fed to 5 to 6 weight cattle. Was thinking about using around 10% of these.

I wouldn't figure any value for them in balancing my ration other than high undigestible fiber but you can use them as a "stretcher" or "filler". DDG, soyhulls pellets and CGF are good ingredients. Adding rice hulls just dilutes the value of all of it.

TexasBred":1owydnal said:
hayrack":1owydnal said:
TexasBred":1owydnal said:

I wouldn't figure any value for them in balancing my ration other than high undigestible fiber but you can use them as a "stretcher" or "filler". DDG, soyhulls pellets and CGF are good ingredients. Adding rice hulls just dilutes the value of all of it.

It does indeed.

Latest posts