Ground Hogs ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have received an infestation after the neighbor broke up his CRP. Shot a couple but now they are shy. Any tips on trapping or other control methods?

I've heard of using cut up apples and setting the trap in the evening next to their hole. One guy swears by throwing ha handfull of bubble gum down the hole. Supposedly they eat it and die.

Gopher_tortoise_burrow.JPG

This is a gopher ,

He was after some sort of big rat looking thing , We don't have them here

Stocker Steve":1ayo3xwt said:
Have received an infestation after the neighbor broke up his CRP. Shot a couple but now they are shy. Any tips on trapping or other control methods?

We had ground hog problems here when first got here but I eat them and wore them out to almost extinction too bad your not closer... Use a foot trap at the entrance of the hole and a leaf over the trap they will get caught every time but check the traps frequently or they will chew there foot off and get away

I have had some success with catching them in live traps, if I remember right I think I just used some cattle feed as bait.

i had one almost running in the garage to eat my chicken feed. i just set some in the live trap and within an hour he was caught in it!

I just got one with a head shot last night. he decided to run up near the house. mistake.

Sweet feed,apples, or carrots in a live trap works well. They will get shy of that two,after awhile but if you are having new ones come in that may not be a big deal. Currently I have a 220 Connibear guarding the barn. It works very well too. When they spook and dive for the hole, BINGO! Only bad thing to both of these is the fact that they have a ton of holes so it can get pricey to cover them all and the 220 is not selective as mentioned.

They are great practice for deer season tho if you have any free time.

Eliminated the problem at FILs place with conibear trap..slow and steady wins the race...and of course, be very careful if you go this route.

The best way I have controlled them is make sure they are home, put a road flares in their hole, light it and cover up all their entrance holes. They will not dig out.

Google it as there is plenty of info on this.

bball":2b9xz35m said:
Eliminated the problem at FILs place with conibear trap..slow and steady wins the race...and of course, be very careful if you go this route.
They are kinda unforgiving...

Latest posts