Ground driven manure spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2olepq2w said:
Has anyone had any experience with a small gr driven spreader - to be used with an ATV?
Thinking about getting one.
Don';t hold enough to be worth while

We wheel barrow our manure out of the barn and hand pitch it into a pile. If I had a small spreader parked in the barn that I could clean pens & put directly into the spreader, I would immediately put it out in the fields (except in winter).

pdf - I actually have contacted ABI and they sent me an email saying they would call - no prices as yet. That is exactly what we would like to find. We want one with a "tailgate" to adjust the "flow" out the backend. I have to guess they will be waaayyy too proud of their product for me to afford. I'm just in the searching stage & trying to figure out WHAT I need to know & look for in a used one.
I'm figuring if I can adjust it to spread it super thin, I could put it on the fields as the cows are moved off. Can't be any worse than spreading out their manure piles. Right????
But, until I research them - real tough to know if one is "the right one" or not.
Was hoping someone had experience with one.
Maybe I will post on the HORSE board. They are designed for horse stall cleaning.
Found two close by on Craig's list but both have open back ends. Maybe this isn't a problem??? We don't have straw to deal with - we bed with woodchips/shavings.
Thanks for the comments.

Pioneer equipment also makes some smaller ones.

Pioneers fortee is making equipment for draft animals but they see the small farm and horse market and make some smaller stuff.

I got the price on the 25 cu bu from ABI - $2600 + shipping without the tailgate. But, the tailgate did not regulate the flow - it's simply to keep the manure in while your loading it.
The local 10 yr old one for $950 is looking better all the time. It's a Fuerst.

The tailgate doesn;t really do much. The apron chain speed and the beaters control the rate of the stuff coming off and spreading

newer spreader is worthless if you use anything other than shavings and you need to be an awesome stall cleaner. it does not like clumps. no pioneer manure spreaders (i'm a pioneer dealer), but ez spreader is from the same area and has a nice 25 bushel for 1399. it has a rubber floor and lots of grease fittings.

We went to look at one only 10 minutes away. We decided this was not for us. Looks like a tinker toy. Not really designed with agressive beaters. It will mostly just "help" it out of the backend. Definately would not handle the frozen stuff!!
I thought this would be a way to save labor (husbands) wheeling it out thru the mud & snow. Easier to just pull the tractor up to the barn & fill the bucket & dump in pile.
Looks like we're going to invest in a "real" manure spreader that we can bucket into it from the compost pile. Now, I get to watch all the ads in the paper & pass the word around the neighborhood.

Latest posts