ground corn

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

does anyone out there know if cows get just as much out of whole corn as ground corn? all my life i have heard they get more out of ground corn.. and that makes sense.. but i have recently heard that some university somewhere did a study on this and found that whole corn did just as good.. that although they passed some of the whole kernels, they were getting the value out of it..

just wondering

thanks

gene

[email protected]

As long as whole kernels are being passed, the corn is not been digested. it's easier to reach the starch an dother stuff inside the corn when it is ground or at least broken.

[email protected]

There is only a small percentage difference in digestion between ground and whole. Ground is all digested in the first stomach, whole is digested in each of the stomachs and even some in the colon as by-pass protein. Just read a report on that subject last night, now all I have to do is locate it again

dun

> As long as whole kernels are being
> passed, the corn is not been
> digested. it's easier to reach the
> starch an dother stuff inside the
> corn when it is ground or at least
> broken.

<A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/30.pdf" TARGET="_blank">www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/30.pdf</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/29.pdf" TARGET="_blank">www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/29.pdf</A>

dun

> does anyone out there know if cows
> get just as much out of whole corn
> as ground corn? all my life i have
> heard they get more out of ground
> corn.. and that makes sense.. but
> i have recently heard that some
> university somewhere did a study
> on this and found that whole corn
> did just as good.. that although
> they passed some of the whole
> kernels, they were getting the
> value out of it..

> just wondering

> thanks

> gene

thanks dun... i will have to re read this to get a better understanding... my brain is tired right now.. lol .. some of the terminology.. and i am not sure what some of the test results really mean... but am i correct in my first impression... it looks like the whole corn is the best or at least equal..??

at the very least only minimal differences??

thanks again

gene

> <A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/30.pdf" TARGET="_blank">www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/30.pdf</A>
>
> <A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/29.pdf" TARGET="_blank">www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/1996rr/29.pdf</A>
> dun

[email protected]

That's what I got out of it, but I'm no "college graduate" other then the U of Hard Knocks. Looks like it's actually more healthful for the animal also. I'm going to contact the mill tomorrow and see if he can mix our ration with whole corn rather then ground at a lower price. It may not be because we only get a couple of tons at a time and they mix 10 - 20 a batch. We shall see.

dun

> thanks dun... i will have to re
> read this to get a better
> understanding... my brain is tired
> right now.. lol .. some of the
> terminology.. and i am not sure
> what some of the test results
> really mean... but am i correct in
> my first impression... it looks
> like the whole corn is the best or
> at least equal..??

> at the very least only minimal
> differences??

> thanks again

> gene

Cow eats whole corn. Some passes through cow and sprouts in the pile. So much for government studies. Enough said.

i think that would be true for any seed a cow eats. it is gonna sprout when passed. they still get something from it, but is it as much??

gene

> Cow eats whole corn. Some passes
> through cow and sprouts in the
> pile. So much for government
> studies. Enough said.

[email protected]

but I talked to a guy (actually it was a woman) who was. Wouldn't have his job for anything! They take the flop and analyze it for all sorts of things. I would imagine they take the corn out of it and do whatever it is they do and analyze the proteins, etc. and that's how they come up with the percentages of whats left. Just guessing.

dun

> i think that would be true for any
> seed a cow eats. it is gonna
> sprout when passed. they still get
> something from it, but is it as
> much??

> gene

Latest posts