Ground bees

Help Support CattleToday:

Yellow jackets burrow in the ground. Bald hornets live above ground and build paper nests.
Both can get pissy. Yellow Jackets tend to react individually . Any one with the time to pick up a bucket full
of bees has too much idle time on their hands!
Considering where the bucket would be, it would have to be moved to get a tractor out of the barn. It must be moved idle time or not

Yellow jackets burrow in the ground. Bald hornets live above ground and build paper nests.
Both can get pissy. Yellow Jackets tend to react individually . Any one with the time to pick up a bucket full
of bees has too much idle time on their hands!

Apparently there are regional differences in common names. What I've always called yellow jackets are definitely wasps, with the same body shape as red wasps and mud daubers, though slightly smaller, and they build nests like red wasps (see below). Maybe there's a different insect in other parts of the world that are also called yellow jackets?

Hornets here build in the ground (hence the name ground hornets), or I've also seen them build nests under a pile of dry grass. The only time I've seen hornets build the paper nest like I grew up seeing on cartoons was when I was in North Dakota. We don't have those in southeast Texas.

1635523174388.png

Apparently there are regional differences in common names. What I've always called yellow jackets are definitely wasps, with the same body shape as red wasps and mud daubers, though slightly smaller, and they build nests like red wasps (see below). Maybe there's a different insect in other parts of the world that are also called yellow jackets?

Hornets here build in the ground (hence the name ground hornets), or I've also seen them build nests under a pile of dry grass. The only time I've seen hornets build the paper nest like I grew up seeing on cartoons was when I was in North Dakota. We don't have those in southeast Texas.

View attachment 9807
Sons o' bucks also like to build nests ata about 2nd strand from the bottom on barbed wire fences. You don't see them until you accidentally bump them and Katy bar the door. Or inside the offset portion of old gates. We had a bunch swarmed the north and west side of our house yesterday-wouldn't land long enough to spray. Must have been a couple hundred. Thy disappeared after about 2 hours. Mean critters.

We have nasty mean ones that make their nest INSIDE the ends of any pipe gates. Most of our pipes have tiny holds to let out water right near the weld. You grab a gate, and you might be grabbing a handful of hateful little buggers. Same with spring gate handles.

View attachment 9807
My dad always called those guinea wasps. A yellow jacket is a bee.

I'm with @greybeard
Tho he's got 20 plus years on the hatred part.
The ones pictured above are everywhere round these parts. Any pipe pens or gates get CAPS and all holes WELDED SHUT!
Only thing worse than opening a gate and getting swarmed is low trees full of em!

HATE is not a strong enough word imo.

I've used the shotgun on occasion, to clear nests from trees. THATS FUN!!
Those paper nest building bassturds can all die!!

Personally I'd pour a gallon of permethrin on a hole full of em. Might even try the scattergun too just because its fun

I've used the shotgun on occasion, to clear nests from trees. THATS FUN!!
Those paper nest building bassturds can all die!!

Personally I'd pour a gallon of permethrin on a hole full of em. Might even try the scattergun too just because its fun

I've probably related this story here before, but twenty-something years ago when I was working bees in and around Moffitt, North Dakota the local bar had a little 3-sided barbecue shed out back with one of those nests up in one corner. One afternoon the owner and a few of his buddies had been drinking enough to get brave and decided that was the day they were going to get rid of those hornets. One of them got a can of wasp spray and soaked the nest with it. Then another one had the bright idea to use a cigarette lighter to set the nest on fire to make sure they got all of them.

Apparently it didn't occur to them that wasp spray is highly flammable. They burned that shed right down to the ground. The good news is . . . they did kill the hornets.

I've probably related this story here before, but twenty-something years ago when I was working bees in and around Moffitt, North Dakota the local bar had a little 3-sided barbecue shed out back with one of those nests up in one corner. One afternoon the owner and a few of his buddies had been drinking enough to get brave and decided that was the day they were going to get rid of those hornets. One of them got a can of wasp spray and soaked the nest with it. Then another one had the bright idea to use a cigarette lighter to set the nest on fire to make sure they got all of them.

Apparently it didn't occur to them that wasp spray is highly flammable. They burned that shed right down to the ground. The good news is . . . they did kill the hornets.
Many of us have those brilliant ideas when we get excited. Lolol

Latest posts