Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:lol: I am a newby to the show ring. I am needing to buy a
grooming chute. What kind is the best? we will be doing the
local 4-H show and maybe 2 or 3 open shows. :nod: Thanks
for any advice!

Best bet is to find a used one.
There basically are two kinds - steel & aluminum.
Steel is heavy but will hold up to something getting spooked.
Aluminum is light but WILL NOT hold up to anything getting spooked or wild. Can get crumpled.
Aluminum is the most popular. Sullivan Supply has good ones.

If money isn't an issue, and you plan to do this for a while, Sullivan's is the way to go. If you are going this way, go to the Beef Congress this weekend at the state fairgrounds and talk to Darlage or Sinnamon(sp?). They'll be there and have several to look at. You can also see what everybody else uses.
Aluminum is nice for hauling, but if you have a calf that is jumpy, they can tear it up.
Steel with wheels is my choice.
You can also make your own. If you know a good welder or have a school with an ag program, you might be able to get a deal.

:D Thanks guys-- I will be going to the Beef Congress on sat
to watch my nephews show their Hereford steers. I will check out the Sullivan booth! :D I am learning alot!

I don't know how gentle you cattle are, but, the first couple of years that my son showed, we didn't have a chute. We tied to a post and washed and clipped. At the shows, groom them in their stalls. Then the third year my husband built a chute, it has gone to the county fair a couple years but that's the only place it's been. Too much hassle. If one is needed at a show for some odd reason, we know enough people on the show circuit, one is borrowed for a few minutes. If you go with your 4-H show team, don't they have a chute. Most 4-H and FFA showteams have at least one chute.

mom

Right now our FFA cattle show team has more grooming chutes that they do heifers. I say that but some people do not keep there steers out at our ag farm. We only have two people that will be using the chutes and we have five or six chutes. Thanks Kaneranch

We do the same.. we groom with the calves tied, not in a chute. They are a pain to haul to the shows! Also, some of the shows here in Texas don't allow chutes in the aisles, so it's hard to find somewhere you can put one.

We keep a steel chute set up in our yard (fun to mow around) and do all our clipping here at home. Any clipping needed at the show, or what little fitting we do, is done in the stall, also.

But we don't bone legs or do heavy fitting.

I bought one a few years back out of the Nasco Farm and Ranch catalog. I've been satisfied with it and Nasco has 3-4 models to choose from.

:D Thanks for all the input! We have been grooming in the
aisle way and both heifers are very good, not skittish or
silly acting. I did find a guy that will make me one very
reasonable ( he made several for some people at the Beef
Congress) The good news is , he is a neighbor! :D

kaneranch":1sdbtjvf said:
I made mine. It is very heavy but it is very strong. Thanks Kaneranch
I am looking for a pattern for a grooming chute can u help me out.

buy a ALUMINUM shute from sullivans if your going to shows think how many times your going to unload and load it plus you wont buy a wild steer for your kid wreck the shute etc

Latest posts