Grinding your own meat

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
For Christmas I received a commerical meat grinder. I have a whole turkey that I would like to make into ground turkey. Can anyone provide me with any tips on the best way to grind up the meat; what spices, etc., if any I should add to the meat when I grind it up; what consistency the meat should be ground up at, etc.

Thank you.

Just grind the meat through the smallest hole plate you have and I like to add in some fajita seasoning and liquid smoke. I will also add in some sliced whole peppers and onions in the package before vacume sealing it. I would definately invest in a vacume sealer if you plan on keeping it in the freezer for some time.

I would do like sidney411 said, grind it up with the smallest plate, with some beef trimming or just beef fat, but not to much just enough that if you wanted to make a patty it would stay together. Also for a better consistency I would grind it twice. The beef trimming can be bought a local grocery store that still cuts its own meat. Let me know how it turns out.

I had a problem when I tried to add in some beef tallow to my venison burger. It stuck to the insides of the grinder and hung the whole thing up. That was not fun cleaning it out either. Now what it REAL good is to add in some of those bacon ends and pieces that you buy in a 5lb box. YUM!

First grind it through a large hole plate (3/8" or so), then mix in your spices and grind it through and 1/8". This will mix the spices in better and give you an overall better product.

Bobg

Latest posts