Grinder/mixer suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Hey guys I have decided that it's time I start grinding my own feed. I am going through about 80-100 ton a year so not much in the scheme of grinding your own. I am doing mostly pig feed for pasture pork and feeding out some steers. My budget is about 4-8k. I have some older mechanical drive CIH 1250 which is an artsway or gehl 95 for around 4k with no scales. Then there is some NH 355 that are 6,500 mech without scales or 8,500 for hydraulic drive with scales. I just don't want to buy a machine that is really to fancy for my needs. Any opinion on these models, mechanical, or hydraulic drive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike.

Maybe I'm out of touch with the market or maybe it's because I'm in Minnesota dairy country where used feed grinder/mixers are easier to find in the 25 year old range, but still in decent shape for under $4,000.

Back in the day, I believe what we had was a 352 new holland. New holland never the less. Ran around 500 ton a year through it. It pretty much stayed parked under a grain bin auger and moved only when rain was eminent or to a different grain bin. We had another feed wagon to bring the concentrate to the grinder/mixer and loaded the mixed feed back on the feed wagon to fill feeders. That let us go back to grinding for the next load when we had 2 of us available. Was a good machine. Keep a good screen and good knives in it, doubt you will be disappointed. I have no experience with any other brand so I can't compare.

I expected them to be cheaper also. I am going to look at the 1250 on Tuesday. It's 3,700 with a few small issues. The other guy that has 5 different ones is an Amish guy and they all repaint everything they sell which I'm not a big fan of. He has some from 4,250-11k. They are going for more money than they were paid for 30 years ago.