grilled okra

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
After hearing about it last year, we cooked some last night for the first time. Wow, it was fab! Just skewered the pods, brushed w/olive oil, dusted w/seasoning salt and lightly browned. Unbelievably good.

And these were tops, granny. Most only as long as my thumb, none longer than my finger. I can't hang with the plain boiled okra though - too slimey for me.

Deer love okra too. More than anything else in the garden. They've eaten all my okra, I'm just waitng to see what they annihilate next.

Rolled in corn meal and fried until they are almost burned. That's the only way I eat it. I love it, though.

Lammie":2ggl1892 said:
Rolled in corn meal and fried until they are almost burned. That's the only way I eat it. I love it, though.
The right amount of burn is crucial. You have found the widely unknown secret to great fried okra! :D

This has made my hungry for okra and I don't have any yet.

Yes, GA. the right amount of burn is critical. I like it nice and brown, just on this side of crispy.

I can't wait till ours comes in. It has to be fried crisp.

Flour and corn meal is good for okra, squash and fried green tomatoes.

farmwriter":1u85ekph said:
I can't hang with the plain boiled okra though - too slimey for me.

Just fried some a couple of weeks ago, really nice. While I was frying some, my oldest daughter, 13, pleaded with me to make her some "slimey" okra. I have to admit, fresh okra boiled & sprinkled with vinegar is pretty good.

We had our first fried okra tonight. It sure was good.

Latest posts